Leo

can't make this shit up...

Melania Trump’s Parents Become U.S. Citizens, Using ‘Chain Migration’ Trump Hates

President Trump has repeatedly and vehemently denounced what he calls “chain migration,” in which adult American citizens can obtain residency for their relatives.

On Thursday, his Slovenian in-laws, Viktor and Amalija Knavs, became United States citizens in a private ceremony in Manhattan by taking advantage of that very program.

Asked if the Knavses had obtained citizenship through “chain migration,” their lawyer, Michael Wildes, said, “I suppose.”

He said, “It’s a dirty — a dirtier word,” but added: “It stands for a bedrock of our immigration process when it comes to family reunification.” The process is more commonly known as family-based immigration.

Melania Trump had sponsored her parents for their green cards, Mr. Wildes said in describing the process by which the Knavses had become United States citizens. “Once they had the green card, they then applied for citizenship when they were eligible,” he said.

Even as his in-laws were going through the process, Mr. Trump was denouncing it. In November, he tweeted, “CHAIN MIGRATION must end now! Some people come in, and they bring their whole family with them, who can be truly evil. NOT ACCEPTABLE!”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/09/...column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

droid

Ive been watching Myers on trump the last couple of years, he's by far the best late night host on the subject, in fact I think he transcended the format a while back due to the sheer immensity of his day by day coverage, also unerringly accurate in his political assessments. Essential viewing and will be a historical document one day I reckon.

droid

Mueller will start going after Trump's family next. The net is going to tighten. He's attacking from every angle and the sheer weight of multi-dimensional criminality will either provoke a catastrophic response or drag Trump under the waves.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
What would likely happen, theoretically, if Trump tried to dismiss Mueller? Does he have the power to do that? Would the GOP back him, do you think, or are there enough quasi-decent (or at least sane) Reps to say "enough is enough"?

Leo

that's the big question, tea. Mitch McDonnell has resisted a vote on legislation to protect mueller because, as he's said, firing mueller "isn't going to happen." wish I had his confidence.

mueller's working his way up the food chain: pinch Cohen and Manafort, and get them to roll and implicate don junior. that would make trump's head explode, only thing worse would be to indicat Ivanka (trump would start world war III to distract from that).

cohen's all in to flip, but I wonder about Manafort. he might prefer to spend a decade in jail than to cross all the Russians and Ukrainians he's been in bed with for the past 20 years.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
If this was a drama rather than the terrifying puncture of a narcissistic bubble whose contents may be WWIII, it'd be way better than the Sopranos

DannyL

Wild Horses
I think that about all the fake news/Cambrige Analytica stuff - it's genuinely amazing. What a shame that it's also enabling genocide, ushering in fascism, would be the best SF novel ever otherwise.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I think that about all the fake news/Cambrige Analytica stuff - it's genuinely amazing. What a shame that it's also enabling genocide, ushering in fascism, would be the best SF novel ever otherwise.

I feel the same about the Kekism/'meme magic' stuff - would be cool and interesting if it weren't so obviously harmful.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.

? Will be careful not to say anything flip about the ridiculousness of the Trump saga in future lest it be interpreted as minimising fascism...there's an obvious absurd theatricality about the whole thing, which is the point of my comment. Ignore that theatricality or pretend it's not important, and you miss the whole point. The world is being held hostage to the cosmically damaged ego of a deranged narcissist of epic fragility. It's an eminently personal tragedy with global consequences. And for a society that seems to be obsessed with doomed personal narratives (eg The Sopranos), there is an extraordinary lack of appetite/ability to apply psychological character analysis to understanding the disaster of the Trump presidency - this character Cohen has walked out of the pages of a psychotherapist's memoir. Instead it's too often reduced to 'bad person does bad things.....bad person does bad things again'.

Aka don't police jokes and pretend they are more offensive than they are. It's demoralising in these dark times.

Last edited:

sufi

lala
Trump has to die now
it's the only honourable way out for everyone?

lone wolf maybe? plane crash? sudden medical episode is probably most likely, but it should really be something outlandish and improbable.

then what?

luka

craner told me there's no way in the world trump wont serve a second term so maybe dont start counting your chickens just yet. mystic craner has spoken.

droid

Craner is fallible, a false prophet. There's no way Trump will serve a second term and its unlikely he'll finish his first.