trza

ClCgVFdWMAET5CS.jpg

So Wiley was fired, then rehired in a power play between some of the guys fighting for Trump's attention?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Donald J. Trump on Wednesday offered a defiant defense of his campaign’s decision to publish an image widely viewed as anti-Semitic — saying he regretted deleting it — and vigorously reaffirmed his praise of Saddam Hussein, the murderous Iraqi dictator.

from the NYT

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jul/20/milo-yiannopoulos-nero-permanently-banned-twitter

I rarely have as extreme a reaction towards people as this guy (having watched a speech he made at a Trump rally) - absolutely repulsive, and dangerously able to make himself seem 'reasonable' if you stop tuning in for a second to what he is actually saying. i.e. the kind of person who would very much fit the mould of a future fascist leader somewhere.

Should be locked in a room and forced to undergo the therapy he desperately needs until he hates himself and others a little bit less.

droid

Just posted about that on the Breitbart thread.

This is, I think, the scariest thing Ive read about trump:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/07/25/donald-trumps-ghostwriter-tells-all

“I put lipstick on a pig,” he said. “I feel a deep sense of remorse that I contributed to presenting Trump in a way that brought him wider attention and made him more appealing than he is.” He went on, “I genuinely believe that if Trump wins and gets the nuclear codes there is an excellent possibility it will lead to the end of civilization.”

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Ah, didn't realise this was even a 'thing' til last night. Will check.

OK, that's cheered me up. best make the most of my time til next January then.

Leo

Report: Trump Plans to License His Name to His Administration, Not to Run It

...one source of skepticism has remained difficult to dismiss, even after the mogul clinched his party's bid: Why would Donald Trump want to be president?

After all, Trump really seems to enjoy being an eccentric pseudo-billionaire who spends his days cutting ribbons and watching cable news. And he has been utterly unwilling to perform the workaday duties of a presidential candidate, let alone those of an actual president. He refuses to make fundraising calls, or assemble a campaign staff large enough to achieve basic competence, or even to spend more than a dozen nights of the campaign away from one of his homes...This is a man who has shown no real interest in civics or governance at any point in his adult life — while showing immense interest in publicity stunts.

...And yet, this is also a man who transparently hates losing. Especially in a public fashion. Thus, one might reason that the ideal outcome for Trump would be to somehow win the election but not actually have to serve as president.

According to Robert Draper of The New York Times Magazine, that is, in fact, how the mogul's campaign described his endgame to John Kasich, when trying to convince the Ohio governor to become Trump's running mate:

One day this past May, Donald Trump’s eldest son, Donald Trump Jr., reached out to a senior adviser to Gov. John Kasich of Ohio, who left the presidential race just a few weeks before. As a candidate, Kasich declared in March that Trump was “really not prepared to be president of the United States,” and the following month he took the highly unusual step of coordinating with his rival Senator Ted Cruz in an effort to deny Trump the nomination. But according to the Kasich adviser (who spoke only under the condition that he not be named), Donald Jr. wanted to make him an offer nonetheless: Did he have any interest in being the most powerful vice president in history?

When Kasich’s adviser asked how this would be the case, Donald Jr. explained that his father’s vice president would be in charge of domestic and foreign policy.

Then what, the adviser asked, would Trump be in charge of?

“Making America great again” was the casual reply.

As with so many of his ventures, Trump would like to brand his administration — but not actually run it.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/07/trump-to-license-name-to-presidency-not-run-it.html

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Tangentially related to Trump: https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...094630-4ea8-11e6-a7d8-13d06b37f256_story.html

The two sons of media tycoon Rupert Murdoch have long harbored deep cultural and personal differences with Roger Ailes, the man who has shaped the right-wing Fox News that has cranked out profits for the Murdoch empire since the network’s inception two decades ago.

Now, less than two years after Rupert ceded more authority to sons Lachlan and James, those differences loom large as the pair is poised to oust the longtime Fox News chief executive amid allegations of sexual harassment.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/jul/21/trump-and-me-mark-singer-donald-review-hari-kunzru

''At the time of writing, Trump’s polling negatives are unprecedented, his campaign is broke, and his chances of beating Hillary Clinton in a general election seem slim. But even if he does not become the president of the United States, he points the way towards a future that looks very bleak indeed. The possibility of a collapse of democratic politics, or at least a hiatus, a temporary suspension of certain inconveniences such as transparency, accountability and the rule of law, has hung in the air since 9/11. Now it has been given shape as never before. This election (and other similar currents around the world) has the potential to open the way for someone or something entirely unanticipated. Singer gets a lot of laughs out of Trump – the ridiculous apartment, the humourless pomposity – but Trump is not the point. At best he is a sorcerer’s apprentice with little understanding of the forces he professes to control. At worst, he’s a sort of teetotal Yankee Yeltsin, a clown clearing the way for a future American Putin, someone with the potential to make a bonfire of the Enlightenment values that provide a fragile international barrier against savagery and horror.''

Leo

hmm...actually, it's currently at 53.7% for clinton (http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/)

this is another interesting one, strictly betting odds (as opposed to polls or political pundits) with clinton at 66.4% Also, a 58.5% chance that the Dems take back the Senate: https://electionbettingodds.com.

trump probably got a post-convention bump, let's see if hillary does the same. will also be interesting to see if the whole "putin/wikileaks" factor works for or against trump. the emails reveal mostly a lot of inside baseball that political wonks are excited about but i'm not sure the average voter cares about debbie washerman schultz, etc.

also, isn't it kind of expected that the democratic national committee would be in favor of the candidate who has been one of their leaders for her entire adult life over a guy who isn't even a democrat but decided to (opportunistically, some would say) jump on their party bandwagon?

droid

Thats the 'nowcast' - if the election was held right now.

Adjusted for polls Clinton is at 58% or so.

But still...

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I can imagine ppl on here loathing Michael Moore but this article in the Huff Post is very entertaining and seems depressingly accurate too:

5 Reasons Why Trump Will Win

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-moore/5-reasons-why-trump-will-_b_11156794.html

Particularly the idea that anybody voting for Trump is going to be encouraging others to do so through a megaphone, while even young women in America aren't going to be feeling too enthusiastic about Hillary.

It's really going to be a flabbergasting, soul-destroying moment if Trump wins. Like Brexit to the power of ten.

droid

Decent article. I, like many others assumed Clinton would have it in the bag, but as the smoke clears, it seems to all be up for grabs.

Leo

it's very rare that americans reelect presidential candidates from the same party for three consecutive terms, last time it happened was in the 1920s. sometimes they vote to give the other party a chance each time, and pretty much always elect to do so after a president has served two terms. so in a way, history was stacked again hillary from the outset. the fact that she's not the best campaigner and the whole email server debacle hasn't helped.

the debates will be huge, trump could lose composure when grilled one-on-one for 90 minutes. hillary might not be likable but she's a good debater.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy