sadmanbarty

Leo

“I can’t be doing so badly, because I’m president and you’re not.” -- Donald Trump to a Time magazine reporter, channeling Chevy Chase.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
It's almost as if most Western governments exploit identity politics to implement economic policies that aren't very popular or beneficial to their voters.

Just widened the application of that one.

It's the basic formula for neoliberal government, which we all know - more to the point, what the hell can you do to counter it? Most famous early example is the Falklands I suppose, and the extraordinary rise in the Tory Party polling stats during early 1982: http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/voting-intention-1979-1983 (a remarkably interesting document in many ways, not least the extraordinary polling figures for the Libs/SDP during the 'Don't You Want Me' December of 1981.)

Tangentially related, but I found it while looking for Thatcher's approval ratings:
https://www.ipsos-mori.com/research...466/Divine-Inspiration-Is-Our-Speciality.aspx this is quite an interesting look back to the pre-9/11 mindset. I can imagine one or two of those results may have shifted in the intervening time. Why the hell was Branson so popular in 2001?

droid

Just going by the various vote breakdowns Ive seen in the media. Last I checked he was -31 votes. Ryan may pull something out of the bag, or the FC may crumble, but aint looking too great ATM.

droid

"@DanaBashCNN reporting Ryan is going to show Trump the votes and tell him they don't have them. He'll ask what Trump wants to do now"

Leo

dead.

so what happened to the master dealmaker, "the closer"? i'm sure he'll find someone else to blame.

Leo

NY Times having a field day rubbing it in, among today's homepage headlines:

"Major Setback for Trump in First Big Legislative Clash"
The TrumpRyanCare Debacle"
"Trump and Ryan Lose Big"
"Trump's Triumph of Incompetence"

and my personal favorite: "Republicans Land a Punch to Their Own Party's Face"

while it was no real victory for obamacare and the democrats (the bill was pulled largely because the republican freedom caucus thought the replacement was still too generous), liberals can at least enjoy a weekend of chuckling at the majority opposition.

EDIT -- might as well add this in, behold the thoughtful, enlightening, eloquently expressed insights of a true statesman: http://time.com/4710456/donald-trump-time-interview-truth-falsehood/

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Hats off to the genius who made this connection:

6kbu0wF.png

:D

Leo

these posts are probably getting boring but i'm still intrigued by the saga/drama...

today from axios:

President Trump brought his chaos-and-loyalty theory of management into the White House, relying on competing factions, balanced by trusted family members, with himself perched atop as the gut-instinct
decider. He now realizes this approach has flopped, and feels baffled and paralyzed by how to fix it, numerous friends and advisers tell us.

"Trump is thinking through his frustrations," said one Washington wise man close to the West Wing. "The team didn't put the windows in right."

The chaos dimension has created far more chaos than anticipated. Come nightfall, Trump is often on the phone with billionaire, decades-long friends, commiserating and critiquing his own staff. His most important advisers are often working the phone themselves, trashing colleagues and either spreading or beating down rumors of turmoil and imminent changes.

This has created a toxic culture of intense suspicion and insecurity. The drama is worse than what you read.

Behind the curtain: Axios' Jonathan Swan today sat in Reince Priebus' office with Steve Bannon, Jared Kushner, and Reince's deputy, Katie Walsh, who — fed up with the internal "Game of Thrones," and treated with suspicion by some prominent West Wing colleagues — is leaving to help launch Trump's outside political group, America First Policies.

The purpose of the meeting was to spin her departure — the officials said they needed an all-star player to get the group off the ground. But during the conversation one of the officials made a revealing comment. He views the Trump White House in terms that could be applied to the iterative process of designing software. It's a beta White House.

The senior official — the comment was "on background" — said the White House was operating on similar principles to the Trump campaign:

"We rode something until it didn't work any more," the official said. "We recognized it didn't work, we changed it, we adjusted it and then we kind of got better ... [T]his was much more entrepreneurial."

In the White House, he said, "we're going to keep adjusting until we get it right.

Translation: Buckle up. You should expect regular, sometimes violent, upheavals in this Trump White House.

Sound smart: In any organization, all habits — good and bad — trickle down. So no wonder you have so many young staffers spending so much time stirring mischief and trying to prove loyalty, often blindly.