Thread: Trump

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Trump

Hitler? Or merely Berlusconi?

He is moving the goalposts, he is a one man Overton Window, he is playing games with the other guys in the race, he is breaking through the political news and taking over the daily social media chit chat beyond the partisan media, he is making world leaders react to him......
    did you tronc today?

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.lrb.co.uk/v37/n20/deborah-friedell/tycooniest
    I have made myself very rich,’ Trump says (over and over again). ‘I would make this country very rich.’ That’s why he should be president. He insists that he’s the ‘most successful man ever to run’, never mind the drafters of the constitution or the supreme commander of the allied forces. Bloomberg puts Trump’s current net worth at $2.9 billion, Forbes at $4.1 billion. The National Journal has worked out that if Trump had just put his father’s money in a mutual fund that tracked the S&P 500 and spent his career finger-painting, he’d have $8 billion.
    Thought that was interesting, not that it would make the slightest difference as Trumpism seems all about pop, not stats

Ahaha, that reminds me of a similar story about some ghastly Australian woman who inherited a multi-billion-dollar mining corporation and loves banging on about how poor people are only poor because they're lazy. The article gave the estimated value of the company when she'd inherited it and the slightly greater value it has now - I worked out that it had actually depreciated in value while she'd owned it, taking inflation into account. I'll post it here if I can find it...
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 09-12-2015 at 01:46 PM.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

She keeps plotting to take over fairfax media, the rival to Murdoch's Australian newspapers

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    Hitler? Or merely Berlusconi?
    Not even Mussolini..... Just Trump

Another day, another article about Richard Spencer in the NYT: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/21/us...ald-trump.html

White collar crime finally abolished under Trump?

Just speculating here, though.

A lot people will be learning a new word during the Trump years in White house, let's all spell "Kleptocracy" now, kids!
    Last edited by firefinga; 04-12-2016 at 09:16 AM.

I feel sorry for anyone who voted for Trump after buying his lines about "fighting corruption". Well, I mean it's their fault too, but unfortunately a lot of people are very gullible and that's a mental deficiency rather than a moral failing. Like those in the UK who believed the "extra 350m a week for the NHS" bollocks pedalled by the Leave campaign.

I suspect what may happen is that corruption in the strict, legal sense declines - not because people stop doing those activities, but simply because they cease to be illegal.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you