Leo

so predictable: in addition to the encroaching mueller investigation, trump's probably going to suffer two stinging setbacks this week: the candidate he's backed in the alabama GOP senate primary will probably lose and yet another GOP attempt to repeal obamacare will in all likelihood fail. so he tosses a bomb to get media and everyone else all riled up and focused somewhere else. he was in alabama campaigning, so figured he'd throw out some racist red meat to the base.

don't be distracted by the shinny object.

Leo

an actual quote from the president of the united states, leader of the free world:

"This [Puerto Rico] is an island sitting in the middle of an ocean. And it’s a big ocean, it’s a very big ocean." -- Donald Trump, 2017

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
"This [Puerto Rico] is an island sitting in the middle of an ocean. And it’s a big ocean, it’s a very big ocean." -- Donald Trump, 2017

Day by day, G.W.B. is seeming in retrospect more and more like a latter-day Wilde.

Leo

clarification:

President Trump on Friday said the disaster relief effort in Puerto Rico is complicated because it is “surrounded by water.”

"This is an island, surrounded by water. Big water. Ocean water,” the president said during a speech in Washington on his tax plan.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Saudi king's visit to Russia heralds shift in global power structures

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...e-east?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Is it conspiracy theoryish to speculate that this might have been Putin's motive in hacking the US elections? Or just common sense?

Sounds pretty plausible to me. I would suggest that it's probably one of Putin's motives for interfering with the last US election.

But the consequences of closer Saudi-Russian ties would be immense, not least in that it would mean weakening Saudi-US ties almost by default. (edit: Russia!) already has a firm ally in the region in Iran and an effective client state in Syria, and while Russia-Turkey relations have been strained in recent years, Putin personally met with Erdogan last week. They're men after each other's hearts, both with a keen interest in internal security and with troublesome would-be breakaway regions to keep under the heel.

If Saudi Arabia and Turkey were to turn towards Russia as their principle partners in the world outside the Middle East, that would leave Israel as the USA's only real partner in the region.

Having said that, there are such colossal business ties between SA and the USA (as well as with the UK) that I can't see the Saudi leadership doing anything just yet that would jeopardise that.

Last edited:

firefinga

Sounds pretty plausible to me. I would suggest that it's probably one of Putin's motives for interfering with the last US election.

But the consequences of closer Saudi-Russian ties would be immense, not least in that it would mean weakening Saudi-US ties almost by default. Iran already has a firm ally in the region in Iran and an effective client state in Syria, and while Russia-Turkey relations have been strained in recent years, Putin personally met with Erdogan last week. They're men after each other's hearts, both with a keen interest in internal security and with troublesome would-be breakaway regions to keep under the heel.

If Saudi Arabia and Turkey were to turn towards Russia as their principle partners in the world outside the Middle East, that would leave Israel as the USA's only real partner in the region.

Having said that, there are such colossal business ties between SA and the USA (as well as with the UK) that I can't see the Saudi leadership doing anything just yet that would jeopardise that.

Hey, that sounds like any self-respecting "anti-imperialist's" wet dream, right?

On a more serious note, I think the motives are quite simple: Russia and the Saudis need higher oil prices (Putin more than the Saudi's) so being on good terms gives them the opportunity to increase the pressure on the oil market.

In the case of Putin interfering with the US elections: Hillary had a staunch anti-putin stance. Trump was (and likely still is very much so) a Putin fan-boy.

Nice side effect: all the countries Putin is connecting to view human rights as some useless western cultural imperialism. Just as Putin himself.

Last edited:

Leo

22228097_10159454707730582_7654752539462354486_n.jpg

moron?

droid

Reports of disturbances in the lobby of the Moscow hotel on the night of the pee tape involving some guests whom Trump wanted to be allowed up to his room without signing the register...

luka

FZ Yeah. You have to understand that the medium that brings you the message taints the message. It spins the message. In other words, the same factoid presented on CNN, if you took that same piece of data and put it in USA Today, as opposed to the Wall Street Journal or the Journal of The American Medical Association or the Encyclopedia Britannica. Now, if the same factoid was everywhere, which one would you say would reinforce all the rest of them? If the thing is in the Encyclopedia, it looks a little more like a real fact than it does if it's on CNN. CNN is really not a reliable source of news. It's a fountain of disinformation. It is probably the most biased, most spin-encrusted, totally unreliable source of information that you can lay your eyes on, but I watch it all the time because it gives me a great thing to compare other stuff to. And most people don't do that. Most people won't compare. They'll just hear the news report and buy it right away and it's done. It's plugged into their memory bank, and when it's time to process information, that's the erroneous fact that they're operating on. Like people who have absorbed the latest polls, when it's time to figure out what they're going to do about the election, they're saturated with polls to tell them that all is lost.

Frank Zappa

Leo

Deeply chilling

of course, the majority of voters (as well as probably many trump voters) knew this is exactly who he was all along, no surprises here. say what you will about hillary, but she and the dems spent the whole summer talking about how he was unfit for office, didn't have the temperament or intelligence, etc.

i feel the same way about these poor republicans as i do about the men of hollywood in regards to weinstein (as noted on another thread): fuck you, where were you back when something could have been done to prevent all of this? he's president because these sellouts put their own self interest first and ignored every warning sign that has eventually come true. i have very little sympathy for their current predicament.

Last edited:

droid

Of course, and they're still doing it now even when the recognise there is a real possibility of planetary destruction. Utter scum. As Chomsky says, the most dangerous organisation in human History.

firefinga

I think Trump's fate is now more than ever in the hands of Bannon - "his" candidate Roy Moore (a political desperado and nutjob even for the US southern states standards) defeated Trump's candidate Luther Strange (great villain-esque name btw) recently in Alabama. And what's up with the Mercer Family financing Breitbart?