Leo

So would Weinsten et al have been exposed had it not been for Trump?

probably. harvey's power and influence have waned in recent years as his newer films became less successful than his previous ones. once actors didn't fear him as much or have to look the other way at his bad behavior in other to get plumb film roles, they felt more empowered to speak out.

sufi

lala
probably. harvey's power and influence have waned in recent years as his newer films became less successful than his previous ones. once actors didn't fear him as much or have to look the other way at his bad behavior in other to get plumb film roles, they felt more empowered to speak out.
What of the others, Louis CK, Kevin Spacey ...? it feels like something has changed, leaving them exposed, and the change must in some way be a backlash against the groper-in-chief surely?

luka

good question/
it is, in fact, a very mysterious process.
why the token sacrifices and why now?

Leo

change is definitely afoot, in all industries and companies large and small. and yes, trump was a big part of raising the issue, but then again one could say it did him no harm: he just dismissed the accusations, shamed the alleged victims and won the election anyway.

it's been bubbling for years with the decades of accusations and settlements paid by bill o'reilly, bill cosby, etc. perhaps part of the reason we're seeing more victims coming out is because they are older now, more secure in their positions in life and less scared of what could happen to them. it's all a power thing, and once the predator's power wanes, the victims feel empowered to speak out.

also...we all knew this type of thing happened to some degree but holy shit, it's looking like so many men are just fucking pigs.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I think it's also the increasing power of feminism, gay/trans rights, etc. Not that the aims of these groups are even close to being reached, but in some areas, at least, it's less and less a white man's world. (And that's obviously a big boon for Trump, who can promise the white men their world back.)

I can't quite remember how the ball got rolling on this American scandal-fest; I feel like the UK for once got the jump on the yanks with Operation Yewtree, but maybe I've got that wrong.

firefinga

good question/
it is, in fact, a very mysterious process.
why the token sacrifices and why now?

The (semi-)public loves witchhunts, and this time the witches are old men. Old men, mostly part of the "hollywood elite"

Last edited:

Leo

interesting to see the media and public reaction when the guilty party isn't a conservative but someone beloved by liberals/progressives (frankin, spacey, louie ck). i'm guilty, admit to enjoying the downfall of roger ailes, o'reilly and various hypocritical "family values" conservative politicians and religious types who get outed but feel more disappointed and bummed when the same thing comes out about a liberal. "they" are supposed to be the good guys.

craner

Beast of Burden
Did somebody say somewhere here that it was unacceptable to compliment a female colleague on the dress she was wearing? Because I did that, and she ended up being my girlfriend. When does mitigation kick in? What fine line separates office romance from sexual harassment?

luka

Did somebody say somewhere here that it was unacceptable to compliment a female colleague on the dress she was wearing? Because I did that, and she ended up being my girlfriend. When does mitigation kick in? What fine line separates office romance from sexual harassment?

resisting the urge to misbehave here. not easy. but resisting.

Benny Bunter

Well, suppose a man compliments a woman on her dress at work and, for whatever reason, she takes offence to it or is made to feel uncomfortable. Should she complain about it?

Leo

well...there's a difference between "that's a nice dress" or "you look great today" and "holy shit, you look hot, baby, turn around and let me see the back!"

Leo

it's not science, there's no legal definition to consult. perhaps a fair guideline would be a remark that veers into the realm of sexuality -- not these actual words but the implication being "you look so good that it's turning me on, let's go fuck" -- is over the line.

Benny Bunter

well...there's a difference between "that's a nice dress" or "you look great today" and "holy shit, you look hot, baby, turn around and let me see the back!"

Yes there clearly is a difference. But who gets to decide if a comment like "you look great today" in the context of work is offensive, inappropriate, creepy etc or not, the giver or the receiver?