sadmanbarty

Some key supporters have begun to migrate away from Trump, notably Republicans, independents and white men. Trump's approval among Republicans dropped to just 74 percent, a 14-percentage-point tumble from last month, according to IBD/TIPP. His approval among independents fell 11 percentage points to 29 percent. Among white men, one of Trump's strongest demographic bases, his approval rating fell from 58 percent to 49 percent.

A Quinnipiac poll released this week found similar results to those of the IBD/TIPP survey. It found that overall, just 35 percent of voters approved of Trump's job performance. The poll also noted that a majority of men and a plurality of white voters disapproved of the president.

http://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-latest-approval-rating-plunged-republican-fled-president-579151

Leo

- michael flynn resigns/fired as head of national security council.
- jeff sessions forced to recuse himself from all russia inquiries.
- steve bannon kicked off the national security council.
- devin nunes steps down from intelligence committee investigation on russia.
- "repeal and replace" healthcare bill can't even get to a vote.
- multiple russia inquiries underway.

Last edited:

droid

Bannon is still going to the meetings!

Nune's replacement thinks mariachis for hillary constitutes 'foreign interference'.

firefinga

- michael flynn resigns/fired as head of national security council.
- jeff sessions forced to recuse himself from all russia inquiries.
- steve bannon kicked off the national security council.
- devin nunes steps down from intelligence committee investigation on russia.
- "repeal and replace" healthcare bill can't even get to a vote.
- multiple russia inquiries underway.

Incredible success-story, ey? And he's only two and a half months in :crylarf:

Leo

according to trump, he was moved to strike syria after seeing images and video of children attacked by chemical weapons. kind of hard to square that with his stance to not allow the US to accept syrian refugees.

also...

Two days before, the Syrian regime killed at least 80 of its own citizens with a poison gas attack. On television, Trump saw video clips of people suffering and dying. Some were children.

This viewing apparently caused the president to abruptly change American policy from one of hands-off the Syrian civil war to deliberate intervention against President Bashar al-Assad.

Indeed, Trump binge-watches cable news channels and reacts impulsively and viscerally to how the pictures and the words make him feel. When he applies this method to foreign policy, it worries even the intellectual commentators on his sanctuary network, Fox News Channel.

One of them, Charles Krauthammer, spoke with trepidation about this a couple hours before the attack began when it was clear what was to come.

“The whipsaw here is quite remarkable,” Krauthammer said on Special Report. “Now, we have an emotional response.”

At that point, anchor Bret Baier interrupted to say Trump changed only after the hideous attack.

“I understand,” Krauthammer replied, with admirable restraint. “But if you’re going to announce a policy and then you revoke it three days later because of the President’s emotional reaction to pictures—remember, Assad has been at this for seven years.”

If this atrocity is a reason to go to war now, Krauthammer asked, why not years ago when President Barack Obama was in power and people like Trump warned him not to fight in Syria, despite previous chemical attacks?

“When a superpower changes its policy radically because the President is moved by pictures,” Krauthammer said, “you’ve got to wonder about the stability of the foreign policy.”

firefinga

I am not following Trump's each and every move admittedly, but so far he is playing along the playbook of a populist getting into political power - overbloated promises, hysterics surrounding him (from both the opponents and supporters alike), then a reality check full of incompetence, along the way massive corruption (we will probably witness this soon enough). Of course, there is still plenty of opportunity for Trump to wreak havoc on his way to final self-destruction

Last edited:

sufi

lala
This one for Craner
https://thecorrespondent.com/6591/t...aughter-and-her-prince/1864265121147-43ede0f9
Once upon a time, there was a dictator who had a daughter. The dictator, who came to power vowing to make his country great, enacted a series of repressive policies under the guise of nationalism. He persecuted the media and the opposition, used “war on terror” rhetoric to justify a clampdown on civil rights, maintained a close but complicated relationship with Russia, and built a kleptocracy that ensured the country’s riches lined his pockets.

The daughter seemed different – or at least, she wanted to be seen that way. She was an Ivy League-educated cosmopolitan socialite who married into a powerful business family before making her mark as a fashion designer and businesswoman. Like her father, she encouraged an avid personality cult; and like her father, she hid her own brutal practices under the pretext of a soft “feminism”, claiming to represent the ideal modern woman of her country.

I’m talking, of course, about Uzbekistan president Islam Karimov and his daughter Gulnara Karimova.

Leo

wasn't sure if this should go in the "best headlines" or "pointless but makes me shake my head" threads...

Exclusive: Trump says he thought being president would be easier than his old life

He misses driving, feels as if he is in a cocoon, and is surprised how hard his new job is.

President Donald Trump on Thursday reflected on his first 100 days in office with a wistful look at his life before the White House.

"I loved my previous life. I had so many things going," Trump told Reuters in an interview. "This is more work than in my previous life. I thought it would be easier."

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-100days-idUSKBN17U0CA

sufi

lala
is there video of the Comey moment "when the news flashed up on a screen behind him when he was addressing staff in California "? or otherwise what's the point?

droid

Theory of the mind does not apply to Trump. This is the key. He is a walking id. A desiring machine, shorn of any rationale other than impulse. Past words and deeds mean nothing to him, only what is happening in the moment and whether these things satiate his immediate emotional desires. In that sense he does not lie and contradict as his previous actions and utterances have simply never existed.

There are only two ways such a creature can retain power - economically through insulation via fabulous wealth, and politically through authoritarianism and the cult of the leader.

droid

The last week have provided about 20 different reasons to kick him out. He can turn even the most minor scandal into a scandalabra.

Leo

he's in so far over his head, you almost feel sorry for him. doesn't even have the common sense to not brag secrets to the russians.

reminds me of an uncle who, in his 70s, was chaotic, unthinking, narcissistic and recklessly impulsive. but my uncle [edit: DIDN'T] have top secret information, global influence or his finger on the button.

Last edited: