The gentrification of Grime

petergunn

plywood violin
the weird thing about the grime gentrification / fetishization is that it simplifies grime to a specific set of sounds... the low fi /8 bit sounding eski /squarewave stuff

which is fine, but a certain point it runs the risk of rewriting history, bc back in 04-05, someone with a sound like Davinche was just as much a part of grime as Wiley... or a record like "i can see u" is a classic, but doesn't sound anything like eski beat...

I'm telling porkies. I should think if Geeneus actually was Amy's half brother it would've come out years ago. And he would've signed her rather than Katy B.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
DJ in a pub here every other week and played more grime last night than any time previously. Had been inching bits in here and there to see what I could get away but did around 45 minutes at the peak of the night and it went off nicely. Given I started about a year ago playing mostly old Philly records its been some distance to get to a point where Faze Miyake, Trim 'do your thing' and Dizzee's 'get by' are the centrepiece of the night. The sound leaning so heavy on America now has definitely made people more receptive, or maybe even unaware they are listening to grime, but no denying the high standard of stuff out in the last few years has really helped. A reboot of Terror Danjah's r n'g project would rack up the hits in the current climate I think

Two new nights starting in town next month too, not by me but both with grime on the flyer for fist time since I was doing it nine years ago.

Last edited:

version

Big Narstie on Bake Off and Man's Not Hot being the biggest ever grime tune really solidifies this.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
the beatles and imperialism.

after the beatles we got so bad at promoting our stuff. america has to sell our black music back to us. white middle class people (who are most visible music heads) only can do with an americanised and hipster idea of blackness.

I'd say jog on brexit let's show these yanks but then i realised that everyone in dance music are remoaners, and B) tory brexit is an authoritarian racist shitshow. can't win either way! maybe i should play speedcore at wiley's birthday bash!

Last edited: