Quote Originally Posted by rubberdingyrapids View Post
bit of a tangent, but when did that trend for sampling radio chat begin? i was listening to the fourtet album from a few years back which does that but much more dynamically than a lot of the grime stuff. obv it has coincided with the fall of pirate radio, i keep thinking it seems like some burial 'mourning for a lost history' kind of thing,
This trend brings the infamous Boomkat review of Jamie XX to mind:

'In Colour' posits Jamie as the pre-eminent posh soul boy, lifting and massaging inspiration from the rich heritage of late '80s + early '90s London dance culture and channelling it into a pop-ready format palatable to Radio 1 daytime tastes and festival soundtracks. The putative "soul" of rare groove, boogie, hardcore and early jungle is sucked out and spliced with vocals in feathered arrangements ripened up for students and yummy mummys alike - all under one roof.
Very harsh, yes, but I can sort of sympathise with this. I think with SOME of this stuff, there's an attempt to confer 'authenticity' on middle-class music going on...

(I used to do the same thing when I made music on Reason, btw. Chucking a Wiley sample into the middle of a bland, sentimental track with 'deep' chords, e.g...)

OTOH the lost history thing is OTM. Perhaps for many ppl they only experienced rave at a distance, through pirate radio at the time, or at the even greater remove of listening to pirate radio sets years later on the internet - ALA ME. And for others its a case of nostalgia, full stop.

Also I think radio is mourned for by those that remember it, like vinyl e.g. An analogue feel, a bit of dirt and dysfunction, a human element.