Radio is magic

two favourite pirate DJs at the moment are DJ PL on Vision (Sundays from midday) and the Suga B morning show on Venture.

Both uniformly good. PL is the best

Last edited:

firefinga

I also love radio. Could go without TV but without radio? hardly. Can't listen to radio while working though, I get hopelessly distracted. I am wired to listen first and foremost, that's just how I roll. However, I almost exclusively listen to programmes with high amount of talking, like reports, shows about literature or features on the Austrian equivalent of BBC. I also used to listen to John Peel as a teenager over satelite radio and later on via stream from the BBC website.

Leo

i love radio but hardly ever listen to it anymore. i don't own a car, which is where i think a lot of people listen, and when at home i tend to want to play the piles of old and new records/cds that i never seem to get to.

i wish i could find the time to listen to radio, locking in to the right program is a great way to discover/rediscover things that you'll never get from an algorithm.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
very inspiring post sectionfive.

i do enjoy a good radio show. like you say - it's that mix of the live interjections by the commentator with a thoughtful selection.

perhaps there's too many mixes posted without commentary? i think perhaps i'd even do this myself if my own voice wasn't so much of a turn-off!

go on woebot do it

maybe get luka to do the voice bits, you can ghsotwrite them

luka

ive listend to loads of heart and magic cos its all builders listen to. wht was interesting about them is that they operate as a nursing home for ex-childrens television presenters. pat sharpe, toby anstis etc. the good thing about them is they play aint nobody every 15 minutes.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
wow nts is dull today

what are the good pirates to listen to these days (if any)?

the problem with nts is that they have a lot of prerecorded shows otherwise i like the idea, a kinda UK equivalent of WFMU which should ideally be what i need in 2018.

What do people think of radar on here, mike ashley's son of all people...

Last edited:

luka

im listening to me on the radio it's magic. cant wait till its online and you lot can listen to it and i can get famous at last.

Leo

you're famous enough. a cult hero. we don't want to lose you to the masses, plus you might be tempted to sell out and allow your poems to be used in advertisements.

luka

no chance im incorruptible. id lose my powers if i ever used them for wickedness.

craner

Beast of Burden
My mother is co-hosting a Jazz Show on Radio Cardiff at 8.30am tomorrow morning. Stream it if you want to hear her talk about her favourite singers, her annecodotes about looking after McCoy Tyner, Cecil Taylor and others during the late 80s and early 90s Brecon Jazz Festivals and how she married a man who played drums in a West Midlands Sun Ra tribute act before he became an accountancy lecturer and they got divorced. Or, alternatively, sleep off your hangovers and miss it all.

http://radiocardiff.org

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
This trend brings the infamous Boomkat review of Jamie XX to mind:

Very harsh, yes, but I can sort of sympathise with this. I think with SOME of this stuff, there's an attempt to confer 'authenticity' on middle-class music going on...

(I used to do the same thing when I made music on Reason, btw. Chucking a Wiley sample into the middle of a bland, sentimental track with 'deep' chords, e.g...)

Ok, i've figured out the disconnect between us. I'm going to try my best to rectify this... We are going to have a dialectical congegal union.

catalog

listen to this tape every day twice for at least 365 days. write it down.

Enjoyed that one. Liked the shout outs... No drugs, just hardcore jungle Yadda Yadda. Nice one. God there's really nothing quite like that time is there? Perfect confluence of a variety of things.