Radio is magic

luka

What makes it impossible now? Are we subject to the same conditions or can we subvert them?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
it's not impossible. people just want to be professional. arguably rinse is at its global peak and someone played slim shady the other day. just fucking kill me. I hate that tune. beepy bopety boppit crap.

catalog

I don't think it's the same. The bandwidth is too wide, the floodgates are too open. That man, with that voice, no longer exists. Everyones too knowing, they're aware of their moment in history, to the detriment of the action. That peculiar amalgamation of music, the liveliness, it's all played out. The technology has changed but I don't think it's advanced the music, it's just widened participation. I hope I'm wrong tho!

Leo

that will always be a million times more fun to do and listen to than assembling a Spotify or Mixcloud playlist.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Looks like the end of the road for Worldwide :confused: My favourite station by a long long way these past few years. Consistent quality day in day out, always fresh and lived up to its mission. I think what set it apart from something like NTS, Hor and others was everyone on there be it an old head or newcomer was just a big music fan before anything else and in the current climate, it never felt anyone was on promoting themselves or an appearance on the station being just another you had to tick off climbing the ladder. Does that make sense?

Louie Vega did every evening during the first lockdown in that moment and later when he was responding to the George Floyd protests, just honest to god house music as reaction to all that was happening. Felt like something, and the sort of community that linear broadcast can still produce in an on demand era. It will be missed.

qwerty south

no use for a witticism
Mike Allen on London UK's Capital Radio was a fave in my teens. The first person who I heard playing electro-funk and hip hop

Leo

I wonder what radio listenership numbers are like now, and who is listening. In the States, most hipsters and heads listen to online mixes (spotify/mixcloud/soundcloud/Apple Music, NTS, etc.). I don't know anyone who listens to music stations at home. Maybe bored people in the cars?

I get the feeling it's still more popular in the UK.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I wonder what radio listenership numbers are like now, and who is listening. In the States, most hipsters and heads listen to online mixes (spotify/mixcloud/soundcloud/Apple Music, NTS, etc.). I don't know anyone who listens to music stations at home. Maybe bored people in the cars?

I get the feeling it's still more popular in the UK.

very popular in Turkey, of course. virtually no club djing, unless its in hip hop and edm, and even then.

luka

Pulse fm 90.6 first of all, nicky blackmarket and a bunch of people i cant remember
weekend rush and kool further down the line. shows i liked on that was ron and five o, brokie and det, swift and naviagator, dj jinx, tonic and remadee, ash and coe gee, etc
really religious sense of mission around '93 with kool, and 5-O especially. very inspirational. hairs on the back of the neck etc. evangelical fervour.

i didnt really do freek and london underground much, they were probably the garage pioneers. too tasteful for me. did majick (however they spelt it) passion fm, de ja,
mission,
supreeme team with preshsus and starkey, heartless obviously, major ace floating about (run tings like my name was ceaser getting leaner off bacardi breezer) reaper, tek... those people who were floating about underneath the biggest names

then into grime days rinse raw mission, de ja
nasty crew show every week. taped most of those specials, jammers birthday, young man standings etc de ja was my station then really. rinse tended to be a bit dull in comparison. would try out the championship and league one strugglers sometimes too. crews control, desire etc
plus people like frisky and randy c doing the breakfast host geezer daytime radio thing so well
knights of the round table doing the junior heartless routine, loved that

also istened to those 'community' radio stations all through that period. ragga fm, station fm, klymaxx, all that lot. that voiceover man everyone used for their adverts on those stations. i liked how djs would just float about, move from one station to another.
there were two bobo dreads who used to play loads of sizzla around 97 who i used to listen to a lot, gave me a lot of good feelings when i was a bit adolescent and miserable. used to play a marley a day cos it keeps the dr away... started every show with a bob marley... still think of that bit of life as my sizzla period. that guy had the right kind of energy at that time. very powerful. ill try and remember the names of those two djs edit-bobo El numero uno was one

also rare groove shows on sunday afternoons are foundational. apparently idris elba used to do one, proabbly listened to it at some point

plus for sure these
always magical when you got to go to new york once a month
there was something parochail about max and dave and 279 in comparoison

also had a period from '96 where i didnt know what to listen to started listening to patrick forge, then gilles peterson on kiss on sundays. got into pharoah sanders, sun ra, load of jazzy gear, listened to ross allen too when he got his glr show. then started to find it all a bit cloying. funny to see benji b taking up that mantle, the annointed one from when he used to be the teaboy on gilles' show.
kicks off with alice coltrane, cant knock it....
1665090424634.png

version

Just found this odd channel with some German guy uploading taped radio interviews with various musicians and celebrities, specifying the recording gear in each one.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
still gutted about the pathetic uk demise of the wonderful radio.garden, & the shaka/naga thread
i was inspired to search up some alternatives

this one is pretty fantastic https://www.radio-browser.info
though without such a nifty interface but you can find obscure Fulani nation broadcasts from Mali and that works for me 👍

sus

Got one of these for my birthday. There's something magic about seeing it all hang out there. The simplicity. Moving the dial.