Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Breitbart

Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    Only joking - I love reactionary cesspits!
    Sounds like it should be one of your unlistenable black metal bands.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

As opposed to all those smooth, radio-friendly black metal bands, I suppose.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Camile Paglia would be a good name for a black metal band.

Only joking - I love reactionary cesspits!
    Lol! You had me worried for a minute. Why is Zizek tolerated anyway? Other than as a twitchy, hammy class clown.

Google search for an article called 'the emperor's new penis' by lierre Keith for an excellent summary of the radfem position on transgender and the hatemongering I was talking about. Highly recommended

And tea, you of all people should be critical of some of the pseudobiology that gets spouted by the transgender movement

Paglia has descended into much the same reactionary cesspit as Zizek.
    Ah to be fair now, Pagila was digging that cesspit long before Zizek jumped in.

The rise of 'telling it like it is' anti-PC commentary (on the right-wing and in atheist circles, e.g.) is surely connected to the erosion of certainties which increased knowledge (i.e. research, education) and empathy is forcing us to acknowledge and accept.

(Actually, I think this is one of Zizek's hobby horses: the revolt against 'common sense' and simple explanations, to the extent that he is moved (in mind and gesticulating body) to ask questions like 'what if Stalin was good?' I mean this is sort of the foundation of 'cultural theory', isn't it? Deconstructionism, Freudianism. Not telling it like it is, but telling us what it isn't.)

Anyway, that same fear (coupled with homophobia, of course) is aroused in transphobia, in the idea that 'a man is a man, a woman is a woman, a spade is a spade'.

Puts me in mind of the dual-mind theory (as written about in 'Thinking Fast and Slow'): the mental mechanism which predisposes us towards easy answers.

Perhaps also the internet has a role here? The profusion of unverified knowledge, theories and facts makes people long for a loud, confident voice to tell them 'ignore all this other shit, listen to ME.'

oh, and it should go without saying that white, straight males have inherited a 'common sense' invented for the most part by white, straight males, 'common sense' which of course privileges them and their values above everybody else, and so they're horrified to see that privilege being eroded along with their certainties. I think I feel this way too, without wishing to. I certainly feel impatience with certain aspects of the social justice movement, but perhaps that's just me unconsciously thinking 'the world seems alright TO ME, why complain about it?'
    Last edited by Corpsey; 20-07-2016 at 12:55 PM.

That was worth reading benny although they're preaching to the choir where I'm concerned. I'd be interested to read a rebuttal

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Also, how many trans-men actually are there? I know they exist, of course, but they seem to be greatly outnumbered by trans-women.
    Dunno...I've met someone who I learned is planning to transition ftm, but yes, 90% of press coverage concerns mtf transitions so the impression is given that these transitions are way more common. No idea if that's true irl though.

edit: https://tgmentalhealth.com/tag/prevalence/ doesn't seem to be an awful lot of reliable info around

from that emperor's new penis article, this is a very good way of putting the main point of argument, albeit obvs should read: some trans activists:
    "The disagreement is that queer/trans activists believe gender is a binary, and we believe it’s a hierarchy."
    Last edited by baboon2004; 20-07-2016 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny B View Post
    Greer disagrees that trans women are real women. She doesn't hate them.
    I don't always agree with everything she says but she isn't crazy.
    Yeah, I can really appreciate her thoughtful, measured disagreement

Just because you lop off your d**k and then wear a dress doesn't make you a ******* woman. Ive asked my doctor to give me long ears and liver spots and Im going to wear a brown coat but that wont turn me into a ******* cocker spaniel.

I do understand that some people are born intersex and they deserve support in coming to terms with their gender but its not the same thing. A man who gets his d**k chopped off is actually inflicting an extraordinary act of violence on himself.

She's Australian droid, that's how they talk. Don't be prejudiced

She did an interview here on TV a few years back alongside Daniel O'Donnell, who viciously and repeatedly put her down, leaving her completely nonplussed.. very funny. Id link it but it's not online.

I do worry about people who are potentially mentally ill chopping their dicks off. I mean surely you can see there's potential for a modicum of regret there.

Not even necessarily mentally ill. In pain, confused, anguished etc