Breitbart

droid

Greer disagrees that trans women are real women. She doesn't hate them.
I don't always agree with everything she says but she isn't crazy.

Yeah, I can really appreciate her thoughtful, measured disagreement

“Just because you lop off your d**k and then wear a dress doesn't make you a ******* woman. I’ve asked my doctor to give me long ears and liver spots and I’m going to wear a brown coat but that won’t turn me into a ******* cocker spaniel.

“I do understand that some people are born intersex and they deserve support in coming to terms with their gender but it’s not the same thing. A man who gets his d**k chopped off is actually inflicting an extraordinary act of violence on himself.”

droid

She did an interview here on TV a few years back alongside Daniel O'Donnell, who viciously and repeatedly put her down, leaving her completely nonplussed.. very funny. Id link it but it's not online.

luka

I do worry about people who are potentially mentally ill chopping their dicks off. I mean surely you can see there's potential for a modicum of regret there.

droid

Yeah, just chopping their dicks off in a moment of anguish - not after years of medical involvement, living like a woman, psychiatric evaluations and all of the many many hoops a trans woman has to go through before getting a sex change...

droid

Of course not. After all, you'd have to be mentally ill, confused or in pain or anguish to even consider it.

droid

I wasnt trying very hard, you made it easy, in fact.

From a rebuttal to the article Benny posted with which you agreed wholeheartedly.

Do you deny and exclude trans people in your organization? Do you call trans women names like “trans boys?” Do you identify them as “deeply misogynistic” men who are trying to undermine women? Yes, those are direct quotes.

Lierre, you stated, “Well, I’ve personally been fighting about this since 1982. I think ‘transphobic’ is a ridiculous word. I have no strange fear of people who claim to be ‘trans.’ I deeply disagree with them, as do most radical feminists.” In summarizing your view on trans people, Rachel Ivy states, “men insisting they are women is insulting and absurd.” This is the blunt denial of trans people that you put forward, and Ivey goes on to declare, “there is no debate” over this issue in DGR.

droid

I dont know anything about them, but one thing Ive learned about discourse down through the years is that when the focus of criticism is levelled at the unacceptable conduct of (presumably) a very small cohort of the opposition, then the people who are making the criticisms are usually not being particularly honest.

luka

You're not being particularly honest by implying that my skimming an article and saying it seems reasonable but would like a rebuttal equates to unqualified support of everything the authors have ever said or done. But like I say, nice try.

Benny B

I see that sort of abuse on twitter and in comments boxes of feminist blogs every single day.

Putting that aside, what part of the radfem position on transgender as explained in the article do you disagree with?

droid

lol, 'preaching to the choir' wasn't it? Anyway it was your subsequent comments that were a bit dodgy... Still, laisse pisser, as they say.

droid

I see that sort of abuse on twitter and in comments boxes of feminist blogs every single day.

Putting that aside, what part of the radfem position on transgender as explained in the article do you disagree with?

Their exclusive skinnerism primarily - that gender is exclusively the result of Operant Conditioning, their complete lack of empathy for trans people and their denial of even the possibility of any kind of biological basis for gender.

They're like people who say that race doesn't exist and therefore there cannot be racism.

Benny B

Your strawmanning now Droid. You said yourself you don't know anything about deep green resistance, why not have a look at their website? They have a quite useful FAQ section that might enlighten you to their position.

They don't lack empathy for trans people at all, but they are entitled to respond to mindless misogynist abuse wherever it comes from.

Benny B

There may be some biological basis for gender, the truth is there is a lot scientists don't know. However I think its fair to argue that the masculine/feminine hierarchy we have now is socially constructed and a lot of trans theory refuses to even consider it.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
And tea, you of all people should be critical of some of the pseudobiology that gets spouted by the transgender movement

I'm not sure biology, pseudo- or otherwise, has much to do with it. It seems to me to be an issue more of psychology (which can be useful, certainly, but is not in my view a science) and culture and society.

Look, I'm by no means the kind of headbanging trans-rights fanatic who gets furious when people say 'sex' instead of 'gender' or anything like that. As far as I can remember, I've fleetingly met two transgendered people in my life, ever. What puzzles me is the severe hostility - and I have seen reactions that are quite hostile - to the idea of including trans-women in feminism. Without getting deep into the arcana of gender theory, my objection to this position is mainly that it just seems so mean-spirited. What harm can it possibly do feminism to include this (in the scheme of things) tiny number of people who are not exactly likely to be undercover agents of Patriarchy?