Breitbart

Benny B

Not buying into liberal, individualist identity politics does not mean you are crazy, repugnant or hate trans people

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
gays (queers? don't know the correct term)

This is interesting in the context of Yiannopoulus - he's gay but most definitely not queer. A middle-upper class white man who's desperately telling the most difference-phobic privileged white heterosexual men he can find that he's just like them except for one aspect of his being. Desperately seeking approval from those who would hate him if he wasn't constantly reaffirming that their other prejudices are correct. Hateful.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Not buying into liberal, individualist identity politics does not mean you are crazy, repugnant or hate trans people

i'd agree with that. funny to me that mtf anf ftm transitions so often seem to be treated as if they can be talked about together, without any consideration of the differences between them. Whereas power realities dictate that they're not the same thing at all.

Last edited:

luka

I agree with her entirely, well except for the bit where she talks about the danger of inflaming the opponents of Western culture and the spengler decline and fall stuff anyway. Lots of stable traditional cultures have a third sex, men dressed as women. It's very common.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
i'd agree with that. funny to me that mtf anf ftm transitions so often seem to be treated as if they can be talked about together, without any consideration of the differences between them. Whereas power realities dictate that they're not the same thing at all.

Also, how many trans-men actually are there? I know they exist, of course, but they seem to be greatly outnumbered by trans-women.

Benny B

Google search for an article called 'the emperor's new penis' by lierre Keith for an excellent summary of the radfem position on transgender and the hatemongering I was talking about. Highly recommended

Benny B

And tea, you of all people should be critical of some of the pseudobiology that gets spouted by the transgender movement

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The rise of 'telling it like it is' anti-PC commentary (on the right-wing and in atheist circles, e.g.) is surely connected to the erosion of certainties which increased knowledge (i.e. research, education) and empathy is forcing us to acknowledge and accept.

(Actually, I think this is one of Zizek's hobby horses: the revolt against 'common sense' and simple explanations, to the extent that he is moved (in mind and gesticulating body) to ask questions like 'what if Stalin was good?' I mean this is sort of the foundation of 'cultural theory', isn't it? Deconstructionism, Freudianism. Not telling it like it is, but telling us what it isn't.)

Anyway, that same fear (coupled with homophobia, of course) is aroused in transphobia, in the idea that 'a man is a man, a woman is a woman, a spade is a spade'.

Puts me in mind of the dual-mind theory (as written about in 'Thinking Fast and Slow'): the mental mechanism which predisposes us towards easy answers.

Perhaps also the internet has a role here? The profusion of unverified knowledge, theories and facts makes people long for a loud, confident voice to tell them 'ignore all this other shit, listen to ME.'

oh, and it should go without saying that white, straight males have inherited a 'common sense' invented for the most part by white, straight males, 'common sense' which of course privileges them and their values above everybody else, and so they're horrified to see that privilege being eroded along with their certainties. I think I feel this way too, without wishing to. I certainly feel impatience with certain aspects of the social justice movement, but perhaps that's just me unconsciously thinking 'the world seems alright TO ME, why complain about it?'

Last edited:

luka

That was worth reading benny although they're preaching to the choir where I'm concerned. I'd be interested to read a rebuttal

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Also, how many trans-men actually are there? I know they exist, of course, but they seem to be greatly outnumbered by trans-women.

Dunno...I've met someone who I learned is planning to transition ftm, but yes, 90% of press coverage concerns mtf transitions so the impression is given that these transitions are way more common. No idea if that's true irl though.

edit: https://tgmentalhealth.com/tag/prevalence/ doesn't seem to be an awful lot of reliable info around

from that emperor's new penis article, this is a very good way of putting the main point of argument, albeit obvs should read: some trans activists:
"The disagreement is that queer/trans activists believe gender is a binary, and we believe it’s a hierarchy."

Last edited: