Revenge of the Nerds: Backpack Rap Appreciation Thread

rubberdingyrapids

this wasnt a mega hit or anything but seems so quintessentially late 90s new york. i had an evil dee drums record with this break on it. its just ridiculously hard drums, a moody, wintry, two note slightly melancholy piano loop, and thats pretty much it. the rapping is pretty so-so, but it doesnt matter.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Dennid Cooper says it, and I'll say it too, that for a couple of albums, he managed to get hallucinogenic alliteration better than anyone else. Later stuff sucks but whose doesn't.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
But mainly if I listen to this stuff - and I did alot, though less the backpacker stuff - it's for the music, which is still amazing. The Yen Lo tunes are mindblowing. The lyricists haven't caught up, or if they have, they're Thugga and Awful abstraction on those beats. Keep up kids.

We want rap's Wasteland.

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

I thought Macklemore and Ryan Lewis were just modern versions of this movement, and they won a Grammy a couple of years ago.

Macklemore and Ryan Lewis were originally on the label run by Blue Scholars (GET IT!? *eyeroll*) who were themselves Atmosphere wannabes and then lo and behold.

So yes, Slug is responsible for that "Ceiling Can't Hold Us" song.

CrowleyHead

No but that sounds interesting. I got a mate who probably owns it I'll ask him. The ka/roc aesthetic is interesting to think about. Its more idiosyncratic than p.rhyme.
I can't help admiring it but can't come close to loving it either. I do come back to it from time to time to see if my feelings have changed.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rsCee-OxeMY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vXnlrW6Svwk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

trza

i thought warp records was trying to get in on this action when they started the lex imprint.

dert

Hip Hop Connection did a good top 50/100 (one of those) independent rap 12''s, shame it's not online.

I should dig that issue out of the attic and scan it in maybe.

would be interested in seeeing this!

whats the best ka album to start?

nomos

Administrator
Revenge of the nerd: I've been reading The Song Machine and learned that Dr. Luke (as in Kesha, Avril Lavigne, Katy Perry, etc.) started out producing for Rawkus under the name Kasz. Can't find any clips though.

Last edited:

luka

I was just reading your post while my train went past Ilford that's why I asked. Loads of Ilford people on here. More Ilford people than London people. Very mysterious

rubberdingyrapids

doesnt sound that mysterious that if you were on a train going past ilford, it would have 'ilford people' (whatever that means, do you just mean migrants?) on it. essex isnt london anyway, even those parts that arent deep essex like brentwood, southend, etc. its still not leyton or stratford. although, i always thought it was weird that south woodford is part of london and ilford isnt. ilford feels more like east london than south woodford does.