Revenge of the Nerds: Backpack Rap Appreciation Thread

rubberdingyrapids

yeah it was v diff

i remember it being mostly jewish

i recently found out kele from bloc party went to ilford county high

theres two good new semi upmarket turkish kebab places in gants hill now

i hate what theyve done to gants hill library - it was better before they gave it the 'modern british library/social meeting place/IT resource' makeover

Last edited:

DannyL

Wild Horses
I'm from the Ill Ford. For me, yeah, it's where Essex kinda starts, by which I mean the white working class Essex that's comprised of all the East London expats who moved out either post WW2 and the Blitiz, or a bit later "to get away from the blacks" (as I've had said to me by the fathers of people I was at school with). My memories of it are bound up with growing up with Asian kids though - big Sikh community down Ilford Lane and thereabouts. These two communities seemed to sit uneasily together but I don't remember much aggro between 'em as the Asian guys didn't go drinking. Biggest in London bar Southall I think.

And Friday/Saturday night for fighting outside Fifth Avenue and that stretch of the High Street where the wine bars were. Various mates got gassed, glassed or biffed down there. I took a smack elsewhere up the High Street once (kinda my fault).

Not been there for years. What's it like now?

rubberdingyrapids

THE FORD IS ILL, YO.

most of the people on my street were either old cockneys who escaped east london, or jewish people who escaped east london (we were one of the few asian families on our road in the 80s). but in my experience (strictly anecdotal) a lot of jewish people dont seem too keen on having a lot south asian people in the area. my mum goes to an older ladies group in barkingside and says she overhears a lot of griping about it. id have thought sikhs would be down the pub, they dont tend to be tee total (unless theyre being really religious. theres a reason you had a massive pub like glassy junction in southall). i somehow never went fifth avenue but went to the island a lot, before it became a restaurant.

ilford to me now seems like an extension of east ham, stratford, etc.

Last edited:

luka

Yeah I'd agree with that. Its completely lost its Essex character. We've had a few nights out in Ilford discussions on here.

rubberdingyrapids

essex is definitely alive at faces and visage lol

but yknow, no one made all the english residents move. they made that choice. white flight impacted areas like ilford as much as the new migrants coming in.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

Aesop Rock's latest album, soundtracking a reproduction in miniature of The Shining. I don't know if I hate this or not yet.

Last edited:

rubberdingyrapids

i dont really know what makes this any diff from other UKHH but it got a quietus review -

http://thequietus.com/articles/20202-ocean-wisdom-chaos-93-album-review

his caustic observations sharing more with The Sleaford Mods or Mark E Smith, than Jay Z and Nas.

its alright actually.

vital work in a maturing genre by a young talent, which should be as gripping a listen for those who know they’ll love it, as it is necessary for those who think they won’t.

thats you lot told.

this video came up after the one above. bit more grimey. post-dizzee ukhh. sounds like they heard kode 9's 9 samurai and copied it.

i found another review of it.

To say there’s some hype about the release of Chaos 93, the debut album from Brighton’s own Ocean Wisdom on High Focus, is a bit like saying Stormzy got some love this Christmas.

im worried that i didnt even know about the hype around this album.

Last edited:

trza

I think I hear some backpacker influence on the pop group 21 Pilots, but they have a lot of elements of different styles.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
im worried that i didnt even know about the hype around this album.

That High Focus crew have got a lot of fans, albeit (I assume) in the UKHipHop enclave that used to worship Task Force. They've worked with Premier, and that's taken as a big thing even in 2015-odd, which gives you an idea of their demographic.

CrowleyHead

I think I hear some backpacker influence on the pop group 21 Pilots, but they have a lot of elements of different styles.

Twentyone Pilots is ridiculously huge in America, but ironically I don't think any music critic has really tried to address what they do b/c they're looked at like rap rock or something.

forclosure

Twentyone Pilots is ridiculously huge in America, but ironically I don't think any music critic has really tried to address what they do b/c they're looked at like rap rock or something.

i heard one of their songs for the first time yesterday, thought it was awful

forclosure

performing necromancy on the thread to say i've been listening to that Homeboy Sandman album that came out a while back

i can see how some people would find parts of it chintsy and grating but i think it's the best thing he's done

rubberdingyrapids

i dunno where else to post this. but i saw the stretch n bobbito documentary yesterday. reminded me how a lot of 90s rap lyrics were quite bad actually. or not 'bad', just very much of their time. but at the end, stretch says he couldnt do the show with bobbito anymore cos he just didnt have the passion. it had left him. he got too old for this shit. i respect him for being honest about it (though he could probably be honest about it as while not rich, i dont think he had nothing to fall back on). docu didnt focus enough on backpack vs commercial rap though, which also played a part in driving them them apart.

that aside, time has allowed me to see more clearly that biggie really is one of the absolute best. its not just puffy driven hyperbole as i thought at the time. and big pun is actually even better than i thought. pharoahe monch is actually a bit overrated. so is OC. and big l too even, for that matter.

i like the new zach de la rocha song, produced by el-p.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
To be fair to Big L, he never got to fulfil his potential, which was not inconsiderable. A lot of charisma, witty, profane punchlines, great storyteller ('Casualties of a Dice Game'), and could do substantive stuff too ('Fed Up With The Bullshit' e.g.). Reckon he'd have been a good fit for Rocafella, alongside Cam and Jay.

I've never really listened to much OC beyond 'Times Up'. Should rectify that really. I'm feeling like getting back into 90s rap after a prolonged period of being tired of it.

Re: Big Pun, he belongs to that 1997-99 era that I will always think of as a sort of golden age, because that's when I got into rap. Him, Canibus, DMX, Noreaga, No Limit, Bad Boy... Every era is a golden era somewhere, though.

rubberdingyrapids

To be fair to Big L, he never got to fulfil his potential, which was not inconsiderable. A lot of charisma, witty, profane punchlines, great storyteller ('Casualties of a Dice Game'), and could do substantive stuff too ('Fed Up With The Bullshit' e.g.). Reckon he'd have been a good fit for Rocafella, alongside Cam and Jay.

I've never really listened to much OC beyond 'Times Up'. Should rectify that really. I'm feeling like getting back into 90s rap after a prolonged period of being tired of it.

Re: Big Pun, he belongs to that 1997-99 era that I will always think of as a sort of golden age, because that's when I got into rap. Him, Canibus, DMX, Noreaga, No Limit, Bad Boy... Every era is a golden era somewhere, though.

i think 'progressive' rap flows peaked in that era. pun was the zenith. he had that technical precision, but still enough heart and passion (or okay, violent/hardcore/funny lyrics) to not just be appreciated by rap nerds.

im listening to the FOUR DISC bad boy 20th anniversary box set. but i might go back to the first big l album again cos im prob being unfair. its funny that he blew up with that rawkus album when the first one was a second tier masterpiece of the era. im not sure if he would have fit with dipset. he had his own crew (mcgruff etc).

Last edited:

luka

progressive flows peacked with freestyle feelowship and organized konfusion in the early 90s. pun was good but it was just a linear development of the kool g rap flow overloaded with internals and multis.

rubberdingyrapids

i wanted to use a diff word than progressive. OK, FF, those were progressive. progressive in the sense of self consciously 'advancing' the music.

yeah pun was basically a better kool g rap but that idea of superior rap flows as being those that were the most densely packed peaked with pun i think. he was immaculate. you say just a linear development, i say the perfected version of that.