Revenge of the Nerds: Backpack Rap Appreciation Thread

trza

i always loved that funcrusher plus was an album that celebrated the crushing of fun. like think of fun, then think of destroying anything fun and you have that album.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Backpacker (US slang)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In US urban slang, a backpacker is one who listens to backpacker hip hop (alternative hip hop).[1]
In the 1980s, backpacker was a slang term for a graffiti artist who always wore a backpack containing his music collection and graffiti equipment. Typically, the music collection would consist of local alternative hip hop artists. The term gradually came to refer to someone with this musical taste, and now has almost nothing to do with graffiti (although certain "backpackers" may participate in graffiti "tagging.") It later became a derogatory epithet for alternative hip hop.
To the desert trackers of the American southwest, the term backpacker is slang for a drug trafficker.[2]

Further research material http://www.factmag.com/2015/02/25/the-100-best-indie-hip-hop-records-of-all-time/

rubberdingyrapids

im not ashamed to say i like this track and i wasnt ever a dilated fan when they came out -

this is also one of the best rza-doom type tracks not produced by rza or doom -

like, this could be from an old killa army or sunz of man album.

but i dont know if its good to turn this thread into yet another youtube bonanza

Last edited:

luka

Virtually that whole fact list is irredeemable. I'd keep can ox, Keith, aceyalone, ditc and that's about it.

rubberdingyrapids

it seems pretty good actually. though ive only checked the top 20. that east flatbush project single is all time classic. more for the beat than the rapping though. and the ceunbites album should be number one and edans first album should replace beauty and the beat.

the main issue with the list though is that it has too many albums. ive got a lot of time for the guy but do i really want to hear a whole j zone album in 2016? most of the great indie releases were singles or EPs, or maybe compilations, with a few exceptions here and there.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
the main issue with the list though is that it has too many albums. ive got a lot of time for the guy but do i really want to hear a whole j zone album in 2016? most of the great indie releases were singles or EPs, or maybe compilations, with a few exceptions here and there.

Hip Hop Connection did a good top 50/100 (one of those) independent rap 12''s, shame it's not online.

I should dig that issue out of the attic and scan it in maybe.

luka

Black Tom waits? Nothing to do with the costume. Its the production and lyrics. Im in a minority though. It just grates on me.

rubberdingyrapids

13740933.jpg

Tom%20Waits%202.jpg

mf_doom-mf_dope.jpeg

Last edited:

luka

The unresolvedness, the messiness, the wacky kookiness, the pop culture references

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I dunno if its the roughness of his voice but I never really hear DOOM as nerdy, even though he obviously is. It's more that Wu Tang kind of nerdiness. I appreciate that you don't like amateurish music with that half-baked homespun feel, so I can see why it doesn't work for you.

I guess DOOM is perhaps a precursor to Ka/Roc marci et al in that he's got that sort of conversational style of rapping - the polar opposite of Meek Mill, e.g.

trza

I thought Macklemore and Ryan Lewis were just modern versions of this movement, and they won a Grammy a couple of years ago.

rubberdingyrapids

there was a sage francis interview where he said he thought macklemore was taking what they did into the mainstream.

i guess doom is 'conversational', i sort of consider roc marci almost whispering, speaking in a downlow quiet hush.