Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Revenge of the Nerds: Backpack Rap Appreciation Thread

Default Revenge of the Nerds: Backpack Rap Appreciation Thread

I've been listening to Soundbombing 1 and 2, Superrappin' and Lyricist Lounge over the last few days and rediscovering the modest pleasures that attend late 90's underground rap music.

Of course, you get some complete no hopers, some wild eccentrics who veer all over the place, a general lack of ambition to rock any but the most retrograde dancefloors, and half the songs (if not more) are about how other MCs aren't as good as the MC currently rapping, and built on those generic ''i've got ambition to make the right decisions and my mission is to die spitting not die in prison etc.'' constructions... BUT

Loads of great stuff too. And I appreciate the down-to-earth quality of it. It's quite rare for any of these rappers to claim to be Pablo Escobar. Also, the amateurishness of some of it feels quite liberating. There was that DIY aspect to it, the idea of cyphering on street corners etc.

Doubtless many of you will think 'oh, not ANOTHER thread about rap music!'

Make your own threads, sucka.

What's the stuff you like? How about a 10-15 song list in reciprocation for yesterday's UK r&b?

The stuff I remember enjoying was stuff from people who predated that scene but we're drawn into it eg monch, kool Keith etc

Let me work on that.

One surprising thing for me is how much I enjoy Mos Def's music from that era. I've grown used to thinking he's a dweeb.

And also 7 eyes 7 horns, I love that as much as anything from the era

tried by 12, um....

At the risk of bringing the wrath of Crowley down upon us I quite liked early mos too
    Last edited by luka; 04-02-2016 at 10:53 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    The stuff I remember enjoying was stuff from people who predated that scene but we're drawn into it eg monch, kool Keith etc
    Yeah - I mean, there was probably the same lack of quality control going into that scene as there is alleged to be nowadays with trap/mixtape rappers. Whereas artists like Kool G Rap and Monch were the products of a really competitive scene.

Real weirdos with borderline un-listenable styles like Thirstin Howl III were allowed in purely on the basis of being weird. And I actually quite like that. Also was surprised by how much I enjoy Company Flow's contribtuion to Soundbombing 2. El-P has absolutely no finesse as a rapper and even that I find perversely admirable.

Sir Menelik is a good example of a weirdo who was actually good. Remember 'So Intelligent' off Soundbombing? Him and Kool Keith rapping complete gibberish. Good stuff.

Great minds! (Or maybe we've been over this before and I've forgotten)

Probably done it last week but that's OK I've forgotten it. Roc marciano, ka and Griselda records keep a certain strain of this stuff alive although I don't find any of them all that compelling

I don't know that Roc Marciano has made a completely solid album but I absolutely love him at what I consider to be his best. Dr Yen Lo album is great, also.

I've got a nostalgic itch for New York rap, tbh. Fab's Friday Night Freestyles from last year briefly filled the hole blown in it by the rise of the South.

Actually I'd like to read Crowley's take on why NY rap went into decline.

I classify it as mannerism in an art history sense

(it being roc, ka, Griselda etc)
    Last edited by luka; 04-02-2016 at 11:22 AM.

Would mannerism not suggest a sort of duplication?

I think what Ka/Roc Marci are doing is distinct from 90's rap in terms of its production, its tone and mood, although obviously closely related.

No if it was duplication it wouldn't need a separate name it would be a continuation of the high renaissance house style!

Like, I like this, it sounds good to me but the video is a good illustration of what I mean. There's some really nice compositions in there. Its very well shot but it's not real life is it

Like mobb deep is high renaissance this is mannerism. Aesthetically accomplished but without cultural vitality