Kendrick Lamarr

rubberdingyrapids

I like Dean Blunt a lot, as an artist and as an interviewee, but I'm not sure what he wanted from the other people in that room. On the one hand he's saying that marching is limited in its use (and there's definitely a strong argument for that), but on the other he ends up concluding that sitting around and talking is pointless too. Surely the latter is precisely what he wants people to be doing, to reframe the anti-racism discussion in the UK - he could have stayed and elaborated on the interesting points he made, because it's not 100% clear where he was going with it, and most people would've been interested to hear.

hes a funny one really. i dont think he thinks hes smarter than everyone else but i think that detachment you get from a lot of his music extends to how he thinks people should be activists. 'its all just stupid'. hes too clever/haughty/self aware/depressed/easily dismayed/angered/apathetic to think anything can get results. does dean blunt make art films? i think he would be good at it.

I just feel a weird mistrust of the fact that a music paper is showcasing a rising artist having good politics.

i mistrust novelist as i dont think he knows anything about anything apart from mcdonalds in lewisham but why would you mistrust a paper showcasing an artist having good politics?

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

i mistrust novelist as i dont think he knows anything about anything apart from mcdonalds in lewisham but why would you mistrust a paper showcasing an artist having good politics?

I mean, he's only 20-ish and he doesn't know fuck all, and is just eager to do things on a reactionary basis because he knows things are 'wrong'. I don't take his politics too cynically because he tries, plus he's often encouraged in this direction by his handlers in a way that maybe he's not prepared for? The 'political' themed songs he's tried are pretty clumsy but they mean well.

I mistrust the music papers because if you wanted to report on the news, you can report on the news, you needn't somehow sneak a tie-in to artist endorsement. Better yet, have Novelist just ramble about how he doesn't like racism or whatever, I'd appreciate it! Something as cheap as the photo and a think-piece has almost an air of using the tragedy to further promo/hype Nov and things like that in turn cloud my mood about him subsequently without his doing.

Ofc. we've long-since established the exchange of you saying 'yeah I don't feel that way' and me being histrionic so I get this may be a personal peculiarity.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Having loved your bloggariddims jazz mix, I reckon you're a bit of a jazz authority. So what do you make of the jazz on TPAB and U/U? Half-baked?

Woebot ignoring my question is up there with Reynolds quoting me on his blog as far as geekgasm moments go in 2016.