Won't Somebody Please Think of the Children?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Does anyone on here HAVE kids? What do they listen to?

I often grapple with the question of whether my taste was purer in the days when I thought the Outhere Brothers were the pinnacle of electronic dance music.

CrowleyHead

All due respect Corpse, its a weird concept to me to crowdsource your friend's kids. Go for it, don't get me wrong but its a weird maturation thing to me that like "Well I don't want to be on the same page of taste as kids, that'd odd. I'd have been so tired if random adults who were friends of my parents confirmed the worth of what I like." Its one thing for kids to go through mom and dad's music, and find older things they like, or have that connection with your parents through a band/artist/song... whatever. To have your parents peers gravitating to what you like, or trying to pin what you like down, it would make the kids want to withdraw their taste.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'm not trying to stamp my approval on anything, I'm just intrigued.

4391651_700b.jpg

rubberdingyrapids

im sure you know dissensus is not a forum of teenagers and prob not the best place to find out. also, im not sure i really believe you dont know what kids like. you review rap records. that should give you a clue. im sure you can do some kids-tastes e-snooping. its what the net was made for ;)

Last edited:

Leo

i was recently kind of surprised to find that my 12 and 14 year old nephew and niece had fairly banal, super mainstream tastes in music. they're what i'd loosely describe as "cool" kids in terms of dress and attitude, figured maybe they'd be interested in or at least aware of slightly less mainstream artists (i dunno, maybe grimes or other indie-leaning people) but turned out their phones were full of gaga, bieber, beyonce, etc.

CrowleyHead

im sure you know dissensus is not a forum of teenagers and prob not the best place to find out. also, im not sure i really believe you dont know what kids like. you review rap records. that should give you a clue. im sure you can do some kids-tastes e-snooping. its what the net was made for ;)

Yeah, I mean I'm still in school so talking to my classmates despite being more than a few years seperated from them is indicative my taste and theirs aren't adherent (nor need they be), but I don't see the point of being like "YO WHAT Y'ALL LISTENING TO MAN, KEEP ME ON THE PULSE. I NEED THIS TO PAY THE PHONE BILL. :eek:"

soul_pill

I've got 4 kids, the eldest is 20 and not really into much music. Last time I probed he said he liked Ben Frost and Tim Hecker, but he doesn't really like to talk to me. !4 y/o into a sort of breaks/edm hybrid stuff which sounds pretty obnoxious, all breakdowns and fills.

rubberdingyrapids

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07ffkhz

Young people today drink and smoke much less than previous generations. The rates of teenage pregnancy and youth crime have fallen dramatically. New Statesman editor Jason Cowley talks to experts to find out what is shaping the attitudes and choices of young people today. He grew up in Harlow in Essex during a time of particular social unrest. He returns to his former sixth-form college where he meets a group of students who are markedly more conformist and disciplined than his generation, but more anxious too. So what accounts for this change in young people's behaviour? Is it economic pressures, government policy or the fear of transgressors being shamed on social media? Will we continue to see the rise of a generation of New Young Fogeys?