Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Principe Discos/batida/tarraxinha

With this Principe music tho, it's interesting that its the same 'empire strikes back' thing that is quite similar to grime or whatever in the UK, right? Like you forget the extent of Portuguese colonisation (or at least I did). And it's the angolan, African side, rather than the Brazilian side. I don't know what that means really.

Also the almost not even worth mentioning fact that the guys running the label are all white. I mean, I don't want to lower the tone or anything, but that's true. Interesting that the main artist guy is from the Azores. Imagine being from there!

I like how the imagery is dead simple, but has these religious overtones. I'd like to see it big.

Probably my favourite thing is the most recent one, the puto Tito stuff. The boomkat description is what sold me and the art convinced me. After that, the music itself doesn't even really matter so much. Isn't that funny.

I think part of the reason I like it is cuz I'm portuguese, national pride! love the rawness of the sound.
    Wow are you? Never knew.
    It's weird though, when I moved here I thought this stuff would be all over the place. There's this one guy I know from London who moved here earlier than me and he was telling me about a Principe night with (I think) Niggafox at Music Box which was just absolutely mental with the crowd dancing right to the doors at the back and out in the corridor all the way to the bogs and the exit, people screaming with excitement etc etc so I thought I wouldn't be able to miss it. But I haven't seen anything like that mentioned anywhere obvious - I kinda got distracted by other stuff and haven't exactly looked I have to admit, but surely if it was happening in the town centre at places like Music Box I wouldn't be able to miss it. Must be elsewhere I guess but it's not how I expected.

There was a Principe night in Manchester in 2017 but it was before I knew what was what so I missed it. I do distinctly remember hearing about DJ niggafox and thinking 'good name' but found the mix or whatever I listened to underwhelming. All of this other subsequent stuff has put me right tho.

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    Wow are you? Never knew.
    It's weird though, when I moved here I thought this stuff would be all over the place. There's this one guy I know from London who moved here earlier than me and he was telling me about a Principe night with (I think) Niggafox at Music Box which was just absolutely mental with the crowd dancing right to the doors at the back and out in the corridor all the way to the bogs and the exit, people screaming with excitement etc etc so I thought I wouldn't be able to miss it. But I haven't seen anything like that mentioned anywhere obvious - I kinda got distracted by other stuff and haven't exactly looked I have to admit, but surely if it was happening in the town centre at places like Music Box I wouldn't be able to miss it. Must be elsewhere I guess but it's not how I expected.
    i think the problem is these guys are all under one label and they have a monopoly on the sound somehow. it is difficult for other promotors/clubs to book them. would love to see some of those producers start their own labels.

But where are they playing if not in Lisbon? And if they are rocking biggish venues like that then why are they not playing more?

That seems surprising if it is the case. It feels to me that any and every producer starts up their own sub label nowadays, after a few releases. Like its an entirely commonplace thing? I think more likely there's just not enough cash in it to move beyond Lisbon very easily? With so many releases and artists I mean. Getting that show on the road ain't gonna be simple. But who knows

Did you hear the hypermedium stuff from Greece? Xyn cabal and others? All excellent music, but I just don't think there's enough of an audience for it to grow. You're talking 10s of people in big cities.

This stuff obvs more popular but another thing they're hamstrung with is lack of MC/vocals. That's always a bit limiting

I think more likely there's just not enough cash in it to move beyond Lisbon very easily?
    But I'm saying they're not even playing in Lisbon as far as I see. Is it just an internet thing now? Or maybe I'm just so old and out of touch it's right under my nose and I don't notice.

I've no idea. That latest release is old SoundCloud stuff from 5 years ago so who knows. I'll be keeping an eye out for them at the white hotel for sure

I'm gonna check into it properly here, will ask a few people and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by catalog View Post
    Interesting that the main artist guy is from the Azores. Imagine being from there!
    LOL, that's where my family is originally from, outside Sao Miguel, I think. used to be mostly farmers and fishermen there, not sure about today.

Surely Acores.... what's that cheese they do it's great? Sao Jorge or something.

Seems like an interesting place, pretty far out. So the artist guy from the Azores set up another label and is into all sorts of other things

https://www.factmag.com/2018/07/26/p...label-holuzam/

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    Wow are you? Never knew.
    been meaning to mention this to you. only time I've been to the mainland was 11 years ago (on our honeymoon), not sure if you were there in 2008. we loved it. spent four days in Lisbon, then took the train up the Atlantic coast, stopped a few nights along the way (one night at a vineyard winery b&B), a few nights in porto, then rented a car and drove east and then south along the Spanish border and stayed in a few tiny fortress towns with a population of a couple of hundred people (Almeida, Marvao, couple of others). circled back thru evora then over to sintra, then Lisbon for a night before coming home. avoided the Algarve.
    Last edited by Leo; 06-05-2019 at 07:47 PM.

My friends who run a radio station here in Lisbon are telling me that the Principe nights do still happen every month at Music Box, shows what I know.