Principe Discos/batida/tarraxinha

IdleRich

IdleRich
Did anyone check the P. Adrix album on Principe Discos? Best thing I heard in a long time
I have this record. Pretty good but I'd forgotten it until flicking through today coincidentally enough. I thought I'd hear loads of this stuff in Lisbon but seems I've missed the boat or else it's too underground for me or something.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
man i was really excited about this stuff around 2014-15, heard Marfox play a set that was like a diaspora version of juke almost avant-gabba in intensity, all clattering triplet bongos over a 150+ bpm four-to-the-floor kick, sadly nothing i have heard really comes to that level though. a lot of it reminds me of a weirded out version of UK funky (it obviously has little if any relation at all) but yeah i might have to pitch up the stuff i have got to fit it in with the electro, jungle, pitched up acid house and ghetto.

Last edited:

Leo

I think part of the reason I like it is cuz I'm portuguese, national pride! love the rawness of the sound.

and I know it sounds dumb but like I said above, I'm a sucker for the artwork. most cool labels have cool branding.

catalog

I went through the band camp yesterday while painting and drawing and listened to a whole load. It's all really good, glad I found it. It's like when I found ratkiller a few weeks ago and binged on that for a bit. There's a good 4 hour rinse show.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
I went through the band camp yesterday while painting and drawing and listened to a whole load. It's all really good, glad I found it. It's like when I found ratkiller a few weeks ago and binged on that for a bit. There's a good 4 hour rinse show.

what do you paint/draw?

catalog

A load of random cloud shapes and a series of cranes overlapped with people. I'll post some pictures when I can work out how to do it on mobile

catalog

With this Principe music tho, it's interesting that its the same 'empire strikes back' thing that is quite similar to grime or whatever in the UK, right? Like you forget the extent of Portuguese colonisation (or at least I did). And it's the angolan, African side, rather than the Brazilian side. I don't know what that means really.

Also the almost not even worth mentioning fact that the guys running the label are all white. I mean, I don't want to lower the tone or anything, but that's true. Interesting that the main artist guy is from the Azores. Imagine being from there!

I like how the imagery is dead simple, but has these religious overtones. I'd like to see it big.

Probably my favourite thing is the most recent one, the puto Tito stuff. The boomkat description is what sold me and the art convinced me. After that, the music itself doesn't even really matter so much. Isn't that funny.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I think part of the reason I like it is cuz I'm portuguese, national pride! love the rawness of the sound.
Wow are you? Never knew.
It's weird though, when I moved here I thought this stuff would be all over the place. There's this one guy I know from London who moved here earlier than me and he was telling me about a Principe night with (I think) Niggafox at Music Box which was just absolutely mental with the crowd dancing right to the doors at the back and out in the corridor all the way to the bogs and the exit, people screaming with excitement etc etc so I thought I wouldn't be able to miss it. But I haven't seen anything like that mentioned anywhere obvious - I kinda got distracted by other stuff and haven't exactly looked I have to admit, but surely if it was happening in the town centre at places like Music Box I wouldn't be able to miss it. Must be elsewhere I guess but it's not how I expected.

catalog

There was a Principe night in Manchester in 2017 but it was before I knew what was what so I missed it. I do distinctly remember hearing about DJ niggafox and thinking 'good name' but found the mix or whatever I listened to underwhelming. All of this other subsequent stuff has put me right tho.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
Wow are you? Never knew.
It's weird though, when I moved here I thought this stuff would be all over the place. There's this one guy I know from London who moved here earlier than me and he was telling me about a Principe night with (I think) Niggafox at Music Box which was just absolutely mental with the crowd dancing right to the doors at the back and out in the corridor all the way to the bogs and the exit, people screaming with excitement etc etc so I thought I wouldn't be able to miss it. But I haven't seen anything like that mentioned anywhere obvious - I kinda got distracted by other stuff and haven't exactly looked I have to admit, but surely if it was happening in the town centre at places like Music Box I wouldn't be able to miss it. Must be elsewhere I guess but it's not how I expected.

i think the problem is these guys are all under one label and they have a monopoly on the sound somehow. it is difficult for other promotors/clubs to book them. would love to see some of those producers start their own labels.

IdleRich

IdleRich
But where are they playing if not in Lisbon? And if they are rocking biggish venues like that then why are they not playing more?

catalog

That seems surprising if it is the case. It feels to me that any and every producer starts up their own sub label nowadays, after a few releases. Like its an entirely commonplace thing? I think more likely there's just not enough cash in it to move beyond Lisbon very easily? With so many releases and artists I mean. Getting that show on the road ain't gonna be simple. But who knows

catalog

Did you hear the hypermedium stuff from Greece? Xyn cabal and others? All excellent music, but I just don't think there's enough of an audience for it to grow. You're talking 10s of people in big cities.

This stuff obvs more popular but another thing they're hamstrung with is lack of MC/vocals. That's always a bit limiting

IdleRich

IdleRich
I think more likely there's just not enough cash in it to move beyond Lisbon very easily?
But I'm saying they're not even playing in Lisbon as far as I see. Is it just an internet thing now? Or maybe I'm just so old and out of touch it's right under my nose and I don't notice.

catalog

I've no idea. That latest release is old SoundCloud stuff from 5 years ago so who knows. I'll be keeping an eye out for them at the white hotel for sure