Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: How can I make a living from doing something reasonably interesting?

In this life it's important to decide a)how normal you want to be and b)how normal you're capable of being/how normal you actually are.
    Self deceit causes a lot of unhappiness

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

As sad as it is, Job/work is often just an excuse to leave home, to be away from family and such. More and more people seem to get divorced AFTER retirement these days in other words when people are wrecking each other's nerves 24-7. Shows that "Happy Family Life" is often another case of wishful thinking and/or propaganda.

Quote Originally Posted by slackk View Post
    The creative pursuits are overrated imo
    definitely, in my late teens/earlier twenties ('08-'14) i toyed with the idea of being able to make a living in a creative field, a optimistic but still reasonable and very achievable goal in "that time", but all you've gotta do is look at all of these print-media mediums getting shut down (from thump to espn) to see to see that time is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    In this life it's important to decide a)how normal you want to be and b)how normal you're capable of being/how normal you actually are.
    Self deceit causes a lot of unhappiness
    this is good for the mind but happiness don't pay the bills, regardless of any emotional hangups this is a necessity, anything else is a luxury

so with that in mind i'd say in (grown up) life you must

a) be realistic about how much money you need to live a comfortable life (hint: its in the low/mid twenties)
    b) build from there

i do "blue collar work" and have done for a long time , i get enjoyment from work the same way anyone who's used to the ratrace does, relationships, bants and most importantly being able to put a roof over my head, afford simple luxuries and where possible save for better luxuries. that's all i want from Work and i'm quite happy to continue doing it while pursuing interests elsewhere

mon - fri living (depending on hours) can pretty much kill off any aspirations outside making it to the weekend but im lucky enough to have a 50/50 60/40 balance of work-play because of how i've manoeuvred in this dunya

if i didnt do what i currently do i'd be tempted to drive a bus for a year or two
    Last edited by trilliam; 17-08-2017 at 01:11 PM.
    snmbsm
    @italkenoughshitonhere

It's difficult to know what's realism and what's defeatism.
    Some people give up dreams too early, others hang on far too long.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    It's difficult to know what's realism and what's defeatism.
    Some people give up dreams too early, others hang on far too long.

Defo

My point was that financial limitations (actual or imagined) can stop a person from fulfilling their quote unquote dreams

And if people were to be more realistic about the amount of money they need to be comfortable, live, create etc then they'd be less stressed

Maybe more stressed though. Who knows.
    snmbsm
    @italkenoughshitonhere