what is Fun?

luka

so maybe its not possible to have adult fun. maybe fun is predicated on a naughty schoolboy mindsett

woops

is not like other people
Fun is the absence of responsibility

[from my book of aphorisms to be published in 1647 under a nom de plume]

It doesn't matter what the activity, meditation, drinking, etc. What matters is that you're not worrying about anything.

One of my dad's hobbies is doing maths, so instead of kicking a ball around he'd be working out nth-order trinomials, or whatever. So that is his idea of fun.

I remember watchng Haneke films with my mate, which I considered some of the most brutal, horrible shit I'd ever seen. I told him that nothing is good in this film. He said well look, that lock (on a door that had just closed in the film) is good. So maybe he was closer to Woebot's way of thinking than me.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Fun is easier if there's something in your head or your life (or both) you want to escape. it becomes more difficult to have fun when you're generally content in life.

satisfaction is all well and good, but i think maybe i prefer(red?) fun

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
TO CRUSH YOUR ENEMIES, SEE THEM DRIVEN BEFORE YOU AND TO HEAR THE LAMENTATION OF THE WOMEN

luka

I'm going to go out drinking now. We've reached our comedy answer quota now. Meaningful and considered engagement only now ta.

rubberdingyrapids

getting drunk and forgetting your worries is the easiest route to fun.
its the responsibility/reality (whether mental or material)-forgetting tool that allows for whatever follows. maybe fun is just being able to act against your self (and the external factors that prevent you from being able to summon that self without drink).

there are obviously other ways to have fun though. without drinking. but i think most of those things (whether playing a game or maybe just watching comedies or whatever) are also to do with helping you to forget yourself. to bypass cognition maybe?
(though i think you can have fun playing a competitive game, though maybe thats more about 'satisfaction' than actual fun, unless youre just 'playing' and not competing, in which case its a laugh, and therefore fun)

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yes, obviously. I'm not actually a robot with Asperger's, after all. But it is nonetheless one of those phrases that's been rendered meaningless through overuse, like "to be fair".

luka

Just checking. There's a lot of things we say that are just conversational ballast. A lot of the time we're talking to people who we don't like or barely know.

luka

Words we're barely aware of speaking
See you mate
Yeah see you mate
See you mate
Yeah see you mate

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Just checking. There's a lot of things we say that are just conversational ballast. A lot of the time we're talking to people who we don't like or barely know.

Yeah, but not here, eh old chums?!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
computer games are fun

In general I'd agree, but there are moments in some of the Valve games and maybe a few others (I'm not really a huge gamer myself) that transcend 'fun', as such. I have no problem with people calling games an art form, in principle.

Woebot

not that i'd endorse it - being a living saint - but i imagine crime is a lot of fun too.

until you get caught.

it must beat waking up with your face in pieces though davis.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
not that i'd endorse it - being a living saint - but i imagine crime is a lot of fun too.

breaking-the-law.jpg