what is Fun?

luka

What is Fun? Is Fun always somehow illicit or at the very least naughty or irresponsible?

Last edited:

luka

I ask because my drinking has been getting me into trouble a lot recently. Is Fun necessary? Can you live a happy and fufillied life without it?

luka

Are we ever really having fun or is it a lie we tell ourselves in the aftermath? Maybe it would have been better to have a meaningful conversation?

Woebot

how important is fun? i put more in store with satisfaction than fun. i'm not talking pipe and slippers - more like the pleasure of a well-constructed thing.

luka

I think that kind of enjoyment is vital and irreplaceable but I'm wondering if fun is a pressure valve in a way that kind of enjoyment isn't and can't be.

CrowleyHead

See I always regard enjoyment as something disparate from fun. You can enjoy partaking in food, but its not necessarily 'fun'. Fun is the reward from the activity's performance. So you can have fun dancing at a concert but you only enjoy the music.

They can both come from doing the 'wrong thing'. So you enjoy getting drunk from the effect, but the act of getting drunk and its ritual might be fun. Depending on the circumstances.

Woebot

I think that kind of enjoyment is vital and irreplaceable but I'm wondering if fun is a pressure valve in a way that kind of enjoyment isn't and can't be.

certainly i make do with less and less fun ;) it can't be a good thing.

perhaps dangerous sports is your answer :D

Jim Daze

Can a meaningful conversation be fun, is meditation fun ? maybe it is , is being an alcoholic fun , what the fuck is fun. btw best thread ever.

luka

meditation and meaningful conversation can never be fun. Enriching but never fun. I suppose I'm trying to root out whether or not fun depends on risk and transgression. And if it does, whether it is worth the risk. Every time i emerge unscathed from a big night I think I've cracked it then by next week I'm asleep in a pool of blood in a doorway somewhere or whatever.
One thing my cousin said to me that's always stuck is you have to know when the party's over. I think that's probably the crux of it. Easier said than done of course.

Jim Daze

does laughing while doing the activity denote fun? or can fun be serious as in seriously good fun, the more dangerous the more fun?

Jim Daze

The less fun I have the happier I am.

"the rush is said to be no less powerful than cocaine, and highly addictive"

luka

i.e we had fun that time we drank whisky in my flat and you drew a cock on my meditation diary lol

i actually felt guilty about and also your little brother set me up. I wanted to do a drawing and thats the paper he gave me then he gloated about it after i drew the cock. it was fun though.

luka

then he passed out on your kitchen floor and i walked home. its about a 7 mile walk. it was during that masssive storm where loads of people died. that wasnt fun it was perverse.

luka

The less fun I have the happier I am.

"the rush is said to be no less powerful than cocaine, and highly addictive"

Erotic asphyxiation or breath control play is the intentional restriction of oxygen to the brain for the purposes of sexual arousal. This sexual practice is variously called asphyxiophilia, autoerotic asphyxia, hypoxyphilia. The term autoerotic asphyxiation is used when the act is done by a person to themselves. Colloquially, a person engaging in the activity is sometimes called a gasper.[1]