Flex

luka

Thought it was going to he awful but actually not bad I like the earthquake one

luka

Listening to dancehall yesterday and was feeling they are the Most advanced still. Just listening to busy signal and mentally comparing him to young thug and thinking rap has a Long way still to go

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Like it. These street-dancing cultures are the last great repositories of innovation in music these days, aren't they? (Saying that, they are musical forms which nick all sorts of ideas from rap/rnb/dancehall.) Juke, Bop, and now this...

Please post examples of the psychedelic use of autotune in dancehall.

I think in rap music there's still an expectation of being able to understand lyrics (no matter how simplistic) which sets limitations on auto-tune.

Young Thug is obviously pushing that to the limit, and has attracted all sorts of opprobium because of it.

Or perhaps it's just a more conservative genre than dancehall, which seems to be driven by this constant competitive and innovative imperative?

I would have instincitvely tied in autotune in rap with increased use of drugs (lean, xannies, etc.) - what is the drug use like in dancehall, I wonder?

Finally, it must be said that autotune, for most rappers, has simply opened up an avenue for them to sing without seeming like wussies.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
That's true, although dancehall is also a very Macho genre, isn't it? I was going to say that young thug is getting called a faggot by a lot of rap fans for dressing so outlandishly, and it struck me that dancehall has always been notoriously homophobic, and yet I assume more extravagant dress is much more tolerated.

Anyway, very OT

sadmanbarty

Like it. These street-dancing cultures are the last great repositories of innovation in music these days, aren't they? (Saying that, they are musical forms which nick all sorts of ideas from rap/rnb/dancehall.) Juke, Bop, and now this...

Please post examples of the psychedelic use of autotune in dancehall.

Completely agree with your first point.

Psychedelic is the wrong word, but I'd say this stuff sounds alien in comparison to the autotune in rap and pop (I'll have a think about some better examples):

This is some great psychadelic-autotune Afrobeats:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Cheers Barty!

You're about the only dissensian left who's doing the proper dissensian thing of investigating semi-obscure new genres. SALUTE.