Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Russia Surrounded

Default Russia Surrounded

not to condone putin's action but this is a really interesting vid on how russia has become progressively encircled

it's no surprise that he seems paranoid in the light of this

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Woebot For This Useful Post:

also interesting

this is all going nuts on my facebook. im honestly scared to stick an oar in.

Quote Originally Posted by Woebot View Post
    not to condone putin's action but this is a really interesting vid on how russia has become progressively encircled

it's no surprise that he seems paranoid in the light of this

"...and then, in 1999, the USSR implodes..."

Uh, not in my timeline it didn't.

Edit: "Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania... now they've changed sides, they're allied with the Americans now". JFC, is this guy for real? Those countries were not "allied" with Russia during the Soviet era any more than Ireland was "allied" with Britain in the 19th century. They were invaded and occupied.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 14-03-2018 at 08:52 PM.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Tea For This Useful Post:

it should go without saying that tea is one of the most strident voices on facebook. hes shouting at this young boy with a russian girlfriend saying we need to nuke russia now and this poor young lad is so upset at the thought of war and tea is going
    well you shouldnt have married the fucking enemy then.

it's very volatile the social media at the moment

8. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

"No major media outlet covered this" - does the Express count as a 'major media outlet' these days? I know it's not the publishing phenomenon it once was, but including the website it still has over 11 million readers a year, apparently - hardly a fringe media channel.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...vladimir-putin

Sorry Woebot, I mean sure, the USA's policy with missile bases is provocative but this guy is a fucking bullshit merchant.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 15-03-2018 at 04:08 PM.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    it should go without saying that tea is one of the most strident voices on facebook. hes shouting at this young boy with a russian girlfriend saying we need to nuke russia now and this poor young lad is so upset at the thought of war and tea is going
    well you shouldnt have married the fucking enemy then.

it's very volatile the social media at the moment
    "This young boy" being... a certain associate of ours who will remain nameless.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 14-03-2018 at 10:12 PM.

dont misbehave oliver we're all being good now remember. its a new era.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Sorry Woebot, I mean sure the USA's policy with missile bases is provocative but this guy is a fucking bullshit merchant.
    i dunno... i mean, how the USSR took those territories in the first place is sort of immaterial. what it seems undeniable is that they don't really control them in the same way any more.

i mean, in the cold war russia had a clear aim to spread communism throughout the world, but it doesn't really have a goal like that any more. it's interesting in the light of that to hear putin saying "america has interfered in our domestic politics for decades on the basis that they were "spreading democracy""

on the other hand when he insists "russia can not be contained" there is an imperial subtext to that.

certainly i'm not one of the crowd who believes the USA is "evil" but i do think it's useful to think this through from the opposite perspective too.

i dunno... i mean, how the USSR took those territories in the first place is sort of immaterial.
    I guess it's easy enough to say that if you don't live there!

what it seems undeniable is that they don't really control them in the same way any more.
    Which is not to say they wouldn't dearly love to - witness the cyber-attacks on Estonia a decade ago, the annexation of eastern Ukraine, threats against Poland and potential ramifications of a Russian-Turkish rapprochement for Armenia. Russia has never not been an imperial power.

I hear you about the limited usefulness of describing the USA as "evil". I mean, it certainly has done, and still does, terrible things - as does Russia. Each country is an imperialist state with a vast military and the means to destroy the world many times over, controlled to a greater or lesser degree by self-interested plutocrats and with an interest in projecting its power around the world. But a vast asymmetry between them is apparent when you consider that millions of people in America, and in the West more generally, despise their own government to the extent that they're willing to lend a sympathetic ear to Russia, even while Russian jets bomb Syrian hospitals: where are their Russian equivalents? As far as I can tell they simply don't exist - or if they do exist, they are small in number and keep their heads down, with good reason. Can you find me a Russian, in Russia, giving a talk like the guy in the video above, about the USA's "justified paranoia" over Soviet missiles in Cuba? I suspect anyone brave enough to do that would not be long for this world.

the facebook thing was this young boy with a russian wife going, well, there's no hard evidence yet, maybe we should chill out before we start playing into the war hysteria machine and mr tea and his mates all piling in on him calling him a massive cunt ans saying he should have thought first before marrying the enemy. like i say it scared me off getting involved. too volatile. temperatures running very high.

im no way going to say a word or contribute to this thread in any way. people are going feral over this stuff (on both sides)

What was that about behaving ourselves?

like i said im not getting involved man.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    the facebook thing was this young boy with a russian wife going, well, there's no hard evidence yet, maybe we should chill out before we start playing into the war hysteria machine and mr tea and his mates all piling in on him calling him a massive cunt ans saying he should have thought first before marrying the enemy. like i say it scared me off getting involved. too volatile. temperatures running very high.
    Luke, this was on my wall right? Your characterisation of it is absolute balls.

No one called anyone a cunt, there was no swearing or personal abuse, it just turned out everyone else was better read and had better arguments.