Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: road rap meets afrobeat/funky thread ting

Quote Originally Posted by CrowleyHead View Post
    *hushed whisper* Its a shame that all of that Fader article fails to identify that the undoubted father of this whole wave is Sneakbo, but we can't talk about him because he went through that terrible sell-out year and also went and snitched apparently so nobody will bother listening to his music anymore.
    Good point, had no idea about the snitch saga. Not sure where this belongs, certainly a lot softer than other bits posted but loved Sneakbo on this.

Quote Originally Posted by kwaku View Post
    Parisian rapper making similar bits, had an album out earlier this year

Love this! Thought it must be something obscure then I clocked it has 25 million views.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    Love this! Thought it must be something obscure then I clocked it has 25 million views.
    That whole album is amazing. I know they did some concerts and festivals this summer in Holland as well and all of them were enthusiastically received. Which goes against your language barrier theory I think.

Language barrier stuff only applies to English speakers. For some reason.

LoL so true. It struck me visiting Berlin this year how English people just EXPECT ppl from other countries to speak English.

Been listening to a lot of random African dance music on Spotify tonight and it really has a pomp and swagger to it, and all sounds so fresh, especially to European ears, although it is of course drawing so heavily on rap, R&B, pop and dancehall. Hearing all those influences collide with the African melodies and rhythms is exciting.

Totally into that MHD tune now. Thing is it's basically a UK Funky tune in French. Reminds me of

Interesting thing is that UK Funky could now be seen as the first flowering, over here of Africa's ascent within dance music/western music generally. And though it died over here, there's got to be every chance of it coming back, albeit in an altered form, given these conditions. I've probably already pointed out the bloody obvious re: drake sampling Crazy Cousinz for 'One Dance'.

Already queasily anticipating the white middle class Uni student version of Afrobeat,

Matter of fact I might make it

There's ones on there with over 50 Mil and parochial English writers still trying to frame it as a UK thing. As if London was the only European city with an African population.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    There's ones on there with over 50 Mil and parochial English writers still trying to frame it as a UK thing. As if London was the only European city with an African population.
    You're right of course.

I'm aware, too, of my shameful disinclination to even draw a distinction between different regions in Africa producing music. Is Afrobeats/Afropop a name that people from African nations have been using, or is that a European/American imposition?

The way I remember it afrobeats was a dj abrantee branding gambit

Didn't realise FACT have done an article about this:

http://www.factmag.com/2016/05/18/af...new-age-muzik/

And here's an article from 2012 by ex Dissensite Dan Hancox:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...e-of-afrobeats

Not saying London is not a focal point. Just that it's more interesting to situate the sound in the wider diaspora imo

I think ppl like me (white middle class cloistered types) always cotton on to these genres late because, as you say, we're fundamentally parochial. Whereas the African communities wtihin LDN, say, are plugged directly into it through relatives and cultural links. So when it pops up here my type of person thinks 'WOW! LOOK WHAT LONDON'S DONE NOW!'

That Dutch crew I heard in Dam that yyaldrin identified have easily the highest level video girls though. London way behind on that score. Sorry London

afrobeats def isnt a london thing.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    That Dutch crew I heard in Dam that yyaldrin identified have easily the highest level video girls though. London way behind on that score. Sorry London
    NSFW but I'll check later

My Dutch experience is almost entirely limited to getting blitzed in Amsterdam but I've always thought of Dutch people as the enlightened beautiful elves to the UKs squalid orc armies.