road rap meets afrobeat/funky thread ting

CrowleyHead

The problem is what rap experts know to be actual trap, often gets used as shorthand for say... just stuff with 808 drums now. Its become a weird shorthand for what you should call hiphop, but since people have the perception of different drums or whatever... For whatever reason, they call the trap sound 'drill' a lot of times in road rap, at least in south london, meanwhile it's not really drill???

Weird analogy, there was this gospel song back in the US where the singer was singing over 808 kicks and snares in a sort of rapping voice, and I was surprised how many people called it "garbage trap music" even though we'd associate the trap sound w/ what say the Lex Luger thing. But I guess they don't see it as just rap or whatever.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Weird analogy, there was this gospel song back in the US where the singer was singing over 808 kicks and snares in a sort of rapping voice, and I was surprised how many people called it "garbage trap music" even though we'd associate the trap sound w/ what say the Lex Luger thing. But I guess they don't see it as just rap or whatever.

Well TBH I never really saw what was so different about drill compared to trap, guess different sort of synths? And obviously all the Chicago slang/accent.

Here's that show I mentioned before. Mo 🔥

kwaku

Well TBH I never really saw what was so different about drill compared to trap, guess different sort of synths? And obviously all the Chicago slang/accent.

Here's that show I mentioned before. Mo 🔥

it's well worth checking out Oyinboy's semi-regular show on Balamii for these kinda bits:

CrowleyHead

A big part of it was that once Young Chop became the 'signature sound' which, a lot of what he did was very overtly Luger inspired, then that all kind of got lead astray anyway. But then again, Trap was initially much more sonically diverse than what it became post-Luger.

Drill essentially doesn't really exist anymore in the US though, and neither does that really Luger-style of rap production that we'd call 'trap', so its interesting enough that the terminology and the sound really lives on in the UK, although I maintain that the very Britishness of their production is so apparent to me. An American could never make "4 Door Truck/Skeng Man" as seemingly generic as it is. And now the Afro-beat/Trap vibe is incredibly something that could only exist in England because of how semi-homogenized rap's core community is via the Americanization process whereas Englishization is just not the same process.

Maybe this occurs elsewhere in the world too, but I can only guess about the English speaking world due to limitations of what I can gauge and fuck no am I giving Torontonians any fucking credit.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
<iframe width="100%" height="166" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src=""></iframe>

SKINTIGHT UK RMX

forclosure

went to The Den's 2nd anniversary and Big Zeeks E. Mak and them shut the place down:

if you're wondering who Diggy Ustle is that's BMD YES MY MAN BMD WHO DID "North Weezy" and Tinez is the "this is the way i bubble" guy from the same tune