road rap meets afrobeat/funky thread ting

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Sadmanbarty has very helpfully compiled a Youtube list of choons in this thread: watch?v=5Msy8GaFIEE&index=1&list=PLUauGzUG35p6KfsG2XWGZCl6msqcU4Fhr

UK Funky meets Trap/Road Rap?

I'm mildly curious as to whether Drake's 'One Dance' will trigger some sort of funky resurgence ala the Grime resurgence, which he didn't cause but certainly helped raise the profile of.

Funky is a bit like grime insofar as it felt like it never blew up as much as it should have, but whereas grime has been going steady in the years nobody (other than the hardcore) cared about it, funky has - to my knowledge - basically died out.

Anyway, thought this was noteworthy for bringing a bit of a road rap vibe to a funky rhythm. TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT.

Last edited:

sadmanbarty

Very nice.

In a strange way it reminds me of this in so far as they both combine UK Funky rhythms with another rhythmic idiom (trap and jungle respectively):

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Hah! That's quite good. Funny, the idea of combining jungle breakbeats with a funky rhythm has never occurred to me before.

I think that rhythm, which I don't know the name of, is in vogue atm what with 'tropical house' and all.

3:2 clave rhythm, maybe? Covered extensively in this fascinating post about the genealogy of rhythm linking cuban music, reggae, dancehall and crunk.

http://wayneandwax.com/?p=52

rubberdingyrapids

people have been wondering about a funky comeback for about as long as it started losing its stride.

drake didnt sample it at its original speed though. so if a 'revival' was going to happen, it might end up something like DRAM's cha cha. or reggaeton.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Almost certainly will not happen but I am feeling the funky+MC tracks that aren't just a repetitive chant about a skank (although I'm feeling those tunes too).

I should make it clear that one dance is IMO piss weak compared to do u mind.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Hah! That's quite good. Funny, the idea of combining jungle breakbeats with a funky rhythm has never occurred to me before.

;)

It's been cool to hate on Donae'o for a while (the house purists hate what he did to "we belong to the night") and the grime guys didn't take him that seriously but he comes up trumps quite often (and misses too).

I like "My Circle", this is great too, we played it on a recent show:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Credit to MURLO for posting this to his twitter:

This afrobeat/grime movement is something I can get excited about

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
DEAR MODS: Can you retitle threads? I can't see how.

Should make this a road rap meets afrobeat/funky thread ting maybe?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
151pr1.jpg

:D

rubberdingyrapids

road rap meets funky makes me think of funky slowed down, menacing, paranoid, lurching, like funky to glide to in the car, rather than rave to. road rap with some syncopation. just felt i wanted to share :)

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's a good idea IMO. UK trap just sounds like Fisherprice trap to me most of the time. Add an afro-beat to it and it sounds like something else.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Who has some New Funky for us to play?</p>— iLLBLU (@iLLBLU) <a href="">June 8, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
http://www.thefader.com/2016/09/26/uk-artists-j-hus-belly-squad-mostack-kojo-funds

In 2016, the most ubiquitous pop hits are equal parts indebted to reggaeton, dancehall, and afropop. Some of our favorite rappers are also singers. One of the year's best albums is made up of rock guitar-driven R&B songs. For better or worse, it’s clear, genre lines everywhere are blurring. It’s happening naturally in one particular scene bubbling up in the U.K.: in cities like London and Birmingham, where residents are uniquely positioned to absorb African, Caribbean, and global black culture all at once, a new crop of artists is instinctively blending dancehall, afropop, hip-hop, grime, and R&B. These nine artists are on a new wave.

Playlist of all the tracks named in the article:

Last edited:

kwaku

Big fan of most of Moelogo's output.

STP Music are on this side of afrobeats, particularly these two Timbo ones