Thread: Long live CDs!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Long live CDs!

Upon reading Woebot's post (http://www.woebot.com/2016/05/more-t...-on-vinyl.html and this Guardian http://www.theguardian.com/music/com...usic-streaming article), I'm prompted to come out of the closet and proclaim my enjoyment of CDs.

I've felt like an outcast the past few years with the boom in streaming and vinyl resurgence, but there are practical reasons for still liking CDs:
    - I don't want to get up and flip double-LP albums three times to hear a complete album (after paying $30 for said double-LP).
    - I especially don't want to hear a chopped up version of album-length compositions by artists like the Necks or Harold Budd.
    - There are too many shitty pressings on those overpriced vinyl albums.
    - Can't play vinyl in a car or pop it onto my iPhone (and even if you go through the bother of ripping from vinyl, it never really sounds that great).
    - I've got what I imagine is early-stage tinnitus, so the purported sound superiority of vinyl is lost on me.
    - I don't want to lose music when an artist decides to pull their catalog off Spotify, etc.
    - I want to be able to listen to music even if my internet connection goes dead.
    - And the cycle of used music formats is making it a good time to pick up cheap used CDs.

I feel liberated. I can say it. I like CDs.
    Last edited by Leo; 16-05-2016 at 11:18 PM.

heh heh

im with you my bruvva

Vinyl for collecting/DJng (only reason Id buy vinyl these days is if it was the only format available).

Digital for everything else.

CD's are for twerps. Only good for antiquated car stereos (like mine).

i dont buy records like i used to. wish i did. but theyre all at my parents house. lugging vinyl around when youre moving is a pain. when i do listen to records, its now a kind of connoisseur experience. like a treat. a bit like going to the cinema rather than watching a DVD. so im in the pro-CD camp. theyre cheap. practical. better sound quality. and you can listen to them without a shitty ipod or having to turn on your laptop. the sound quality is the main thing for me though. though whoever invented them should curse themselves for enabling easy ripping/burning/file sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    Vinyl for collecting/DJng (only reason Id buy vinyl these days is if it was the only format available).

Digital for everything else.

CD's are for twerps. Only good for antiquated car stereos (like mine).
    a loud and proud twerp i am!

i was separating home listening and overall practicality from DJing, so agree there. and some new vinyl pressings are beautiful things, lovely gatefold packaging, etc. "digital for everything else" is a problem for me...what happens if your computer crashes, dies or gets stolen? guess you could make sure you back up everything but most people aren't diligent about that.

If youre not backing everything up at this stage then there's no hope.

I'm way more picky that I used to be, but have bought digital, cassettes, vinyl and CDs in the last couple of months.

CDs were generally way cheaper than the rest...

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    a loud and proud twerp i am!
    amen

CD's are for twerps.
    not sure i've ever believed owning records made me a cool person. though i understand it's often part of the uncool person's strategy to be cool. too old to care now.

-

i would admit it's starting to be a bit of a struggle to make CDs sound good through my system though. it's a good (NAIM) CD player too - but what the audiophiles are telling me is that you can get a better sound off a record player for a tenth of the cost of its CD player equivalent.

my DAC (Duet 2) sounds ok through the same amp and speakers. and strangely through earphones, my buds, i'm not bothered by digital at all. but through my speakers i'm finding i get very fatigued by the brightness and treble. again, it's not a problem with digital per se...

Quote Originally Posted by Woebot View Post
    not sure i've ever believed owning records made me a cool person. though i understand it's often part of the uncool person's strategy to be cool. too old to care now.
    lol. Nothing to do with coolness - coolness and choice of media format are not things I associate with one another.

Its just the general ungainliness, lack of longevity, durability, attractiveness and pretty much everything else about the format that makes them twerpish (which i meant in a facetious way of course).

lol. Nothing to do with coolness - coolness and choice of media format are not things I associate with one another.

Its just the general ungainliness, lack of longevity, durability, attractiveness and pretty much everything else about the format that makes them twerpish (which i meant in a facetious way of course).
    cds certainly aren't attractive, but i don't buy your longevity/durability argument. vinyl scratches and skips just as easily as cds, a not-insignificant percentage of vinyl comes with surface noise due to lousy pressings, and my earliest cds bought back in the day still play fine, no "durability" issues. when the format was new, some cds had crappy sound due to crappy mastering jobs but that hasn't been an issue if decades.

twerpish (which i meant in a facetious way of course).
    well thank goodness for that!