Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long live CDs!

Quote Originally Posted by Woebot View Post
    it's considered fine to EQ in the digital environment (while it introduces phasing if in the analogue realm). you just have to lower the gain - so "treble reduce" rather than "bass boost".
    http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f1...-itunes-23262/

interesting audio guy where that comes from

http://spectrum.ieee.org/geek-life/p...s-who-vanished

also to share this:

"audiophool"

made me laugh

Yeah, they sell a lot of computers without CD trays nowadays so.

at their peak of popularity, new cds from big artists cost $16-18 in the states. today, you can get lots of new releases for $9.99-12.99. and yeah, the covers are sometimes flimsy, even those in jewel cases have a cheap insert instead of a booklet like back in the day. guess they think it's not worth investing in them since they sell so few units.

someday, hipsters will think cds are as cool as cassettes.

I was in a record shop in New Orleans last year and some bloke was talking to the guy behind the counter, saying that all existing CDs will be oxidised in about 10 years' time - so he was rebuying his entire CD collection on vinyl.

Can anyone here verify this?

i've heard that about cds from the beginning, people back in the 90s were saying they'd last 10-15 years. could be true but i haven't found a 90s cd that hasn't played. some of them sound crappy due to shitty early mastering but they play.

Yeah I've got CDs easily twice that age that still play fine in my car. So it's bullshit - unless there was a big fall in manufacturing standards in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post

someday, hipsters will think cds are as cool as cassettes.
    Is there a limit to the kind of technology that hipsters will fetishize, do you think? I mean, RAM must be verging on being so cheap now, and even 4G/5G phone services so quick, that surely there will soon be little motivation to use heavy file compression on music? So if in the near future everyone is listening to everything in glorious .wav or .flac, will there be some retro caché to MP3, like the way people talk about the 'warm analogue crackle' of vinyl?
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 30-10-2017 at 03:50 PM.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

I have oxidised CD's. Its real thing.

That's because Ireland is wet enough to rust 24ct gold.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you