Long live CDs!

martin

----
I was in a record shop in New Orleans last year and some bloke was talking to the guy behind the counter, saying that all existing CDs will be oxidised in about 10 years' time - so he was rebuying his entire CD collection on vinyl.

Can anyone here verify this?

Leo

i've heard that about cds from the beginning, people back in the 90s were saying they'd last 10-15 years. could be true but i haven't found a 90s cd that hasn't played. some of them sound crappy due to shitty early mastering but they play.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yeah I've got CDs easily twice that age that still play fine in my car. So it's bullshit - unless there was a big fall in manufacturing standards in recent years.

someday, hipsters will think cds are as cool as cassettes.

Is there a limit to the kind of technology that hipsters will fetishize, do you think? I mean, RAM must be verging on being so cheap now, and even 4G/5G phone services so quick, that surely there will soon be little motivation to use heavy file compression on music? So if in the near future everyone is listening to everything in glorious .wav or .flac, will there be some retro caché to MP3, like the way people talk about the 'warm analogue crackle' of vinyl?

Last edited: