Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Hip-Hop LPs of the 2010s

Quote Originally Posted by mistersloane View Post
    Great, thanks for the tips man, his catalogue was so immense that I didn't bother and what I came across I wasn't into, but I really like the Yo Side Thang one. Will look those others out, thanks.
    I think he's considered a bit of the joke on the internet, something which he's embraced. He does stunts like releasing hundreds of albums a year of poor music, obscuring his genuinely creative and interesting efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by CrowleyHead View Post
    Noz's lists usually aren't based around singles all the time, just what he's looking for specifically in rap from certain people.
    hm. well when it comes to year-end things i guess i'd rather people went by the K.I.S.S. maxim.

in fact - not keeping it simple seems like a standard route for journalism in hip hop. journalists flatter themselves that they're *krazy wordsmiths* like the rappers.

i suppose that bloke dave tompkins is the classic case in point.i can't understand a word he's on about. surely in music journalism - clarity, honesty and good taste is what you want?

Quote Originally Posted by Woebot View Post
    t bloke dave tompkins is the classic case in point.i can't understand a word he's on about. surely in music journalism - clarity, honesty and good taste is what you want?
    At the moment, in music journalism, I'd want people with knowledge of the software, knowledge of the equipment. I want people who can identify what is being used, and why, and talk about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Woebot View Post
    surely in music journalism - clarity, honesty and good taste is what you want?
    You say that, but I literally have had a friend sending me choice quotes from Energy Flash where Simon is being obtuse with imagery or referendum. Almost every music journalist is a failed/nascent writer of *other subjects* living their future through this current medium. I bring up Simon b/c him and Tompkins are both obviously huge teen Science Fiction nerds and they reflect that approach in their descriptors, Tompkins just tends to be much more bewildering.

But I think the balance between taste and singles is not always easy to strike. A good rapper is making a ton of great songs on projects, be they tapes or albums, but depending on where their career is the fans might dictate a poor single, or management, or maybe they're terrible at singles. Noz is a huge fan of Starlito, who has made great densely interpersonal projects, but whenever he tries to go for a "BIG RAP SINGLE" almost always strikes out. By that right, do you discount the artist's year if they made a bunch of shit singles but they still were really productive?

Apropos of no thing: Starlito was a fan of my review of his album, albeit justifiably annoyed by me implying that he hoovers any drugs he can get hold of up his nose. Still, proudest moment of my undistinguished career in freelance journalism.

At the moment, in music journalism, I'd want people with knowledge of the software, knowledge of the equipment. I want people who can identify what is being used, and why, and talk about it.
    *insert danny glover gif*

i realised recently how behind i am with knowledge of modern music software.
    does anyone still use fruity? logic? what do people use now? if i wanted to make beats like hud mo (and get on kanyes albums), WTF would i be using?

http://www.thediscdjstore.com/native...Y2oaAqRN8P8HAQ

One of these

I wanna get back into producing soon, somebody throw me a cracked copy of Reason pleeeease

so tempting.

Quote Originally Posted by rubberdingyrapids View Post
    *insert danny glover gif*

i realised recently how behind i am with knowledge of modern music software.
    does anyone still use fruity? logic? what do people use now? if i wanted to make beats like hud mo (and get on kanyes albums), WTF would i be using?
    Frooty still used alot I think, for trap beats. Ableton & Logic still, and like Corpsey said.

I think actual synths are still the ideal. Not even cos they supposedly sound better, but because they're more fun to play with. Who wants to move shit around on a screen when you can excitedly jab at a keyboard?

Woebot, here is a Spotify list I made of the Martorialist's best tracks of 2015.

https://open.spotify.com/user/111800...tyDBFaTcfblSp0

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    Woebot, here is a Spotify list I made of the Martorialist's best tracks of 2015.

https://open.spotify.com/user/111800...tyDBFaTcfblSp0
    helpful corpsey thanks

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...zJp-Em-vvMyo7S

This is even more useful/relevant - Martorialist best of 2010-2015!

Good thing I'm a martorialist Stan, really.

A lot of those videos have gone so here's the original post it's based on: http://themartorialist.blogspot.co.u...p-songs_7.html

Main Attrakionz - 808s & Dark Grapes II
    Waka Flocka Flame - Flockaveli
    Roc Marciano - Marcberg
    Young Thug - Barter 6
    Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels
    Gucci Mane - Trap House 3
    Lil B - I'm Gay
    100s - IVRY
    Future - DS2

also drake, juicy j (blue dream and lean in particular), schoolboy q, more future, more young thug, more killer mike related things, more gucci, more lil b, more green ova related things

I've seen the errors in my ways, so here's a better (and far less embarrassing) list.

Future- 56 Nights

Young Thug- Slime Season 2, 1017 Thug

Rae Sremmurd- Ear Drummers

Mike Will Made It- Ransom

Don Mega & Waka Flocka Flame- Dreads n Golds

M.B.E- Have A Party