The FODMAPS Diet

Woebot

if you've got gut problems :eek:, subject to a medical diagnosis and talking to a doctor, i highly recommend looking into this.

after a week the effect has been nothing short of amazing - life-changing.

it has to be done militantly but even in its most reduced form it's a perfectly balanced diet. i wouldn't suggest trying to stack other perceived intolerances on top of it though (not good for vegetarians etc)

the very best resource is the Monash FODMAPS app. the diet was devised at monash - so this is direct from the horses' mouth. another quite good thing is this book. ignore EVERYTHING ELSE as there is a lot of uninformed stuff online.

I've sent your post and the book link to my wife, she's been suffering lately .

Seems to be a major upheaval in diet thinking lately. The diabetic revolt with hundreds of thousands ignoring official advice and getting better, the rise of low carb high fat / paleo. Thinking less about cholesterol and calories, more about insulin. It could save the NHS and kill Gregg's.

Last edited:

Woebot

I've sent your post and the book link to my wife, she's been suffering lately .

the app is brilliant. the diet is incredibly effective - has to be followed really closely though and they lay great emphasis on the reintroduction period.

Seems to be a major upheaval in diet thinking lately. The diabetic revolt with hundreds of thousands ignoring official advice and getting better, the rise of low carb high fat / paleo. Thinking less about cholesterol and calories, more about insulin. It could save the NHS and kill Gregg's.

it's an incredibly hot topic.

i'm really fascinated by the whole thing - and especially from a philosophical(?) angle. i reckon a lot of the misery, anger and evil in the world can be traced back to bad diet. (vis a vis america perhaps especially). i think about music as a dissemination of good vibrations and on those terms diet is on an almost more profound level.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I've started a ketogenic diet in the last week. One week today actually! I did it to lose weight, as my friend has lost a lost on it. But also to try and cure myself of sugar addiction. It's been good for me in that it forces me to make every meal.

It does seem almost perverted to eat a high fat diet deliberately, but I gather this seems to be the way research is now pointing. I've been a bit silly this first week and eaten more than my fair share of bacon and cheese, but I'm easing off on all that stuff now.

I've started a ketogenic diet in the last week. One week today actually! I did it to lose weight, as my friend has lost a lost on it. But also to try and cure myself of sugar addiction. It's been good for me in that it forces me to make every meal.

It does seem almost perverted to eat a high fat diet deliberately, but I gather this seems to be the way research is now pointing. I've been a bit silly this first week and eaten more than my fair share of bacon and cheese, but I'm easing off on all that stuff now.

flipside of ketogenesis is insulogenesis, so this is useful.

https://public.tableau.com/profile/christoffer.green#!/vizhome/InsulinogenicFoodData/Dashboard1

shirred eggs is a good one as you can pack in cream, egg, cheese, bacon and then drop them on top of a steak.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
^ thanks for this, very useful and interesting ^

I've actually gained a little weight in the week I've been doing the diet. I think that's down to me just concentrating on cutting out carbs/sugars without keeping an eye on calories at the same time. Not been exercising either.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Yeah, but what does an emeritus professor of surgery at Guys Hospital in London know about the human body?

This is well worth watching

http://www.thebigfatfix.com/

What you should be eating (not carbs, but go heavy on veg, eggs, fats, treat yourself to dark chocolate), how you should eat it (with friends and family, where possible), what's killing you (carbs, insulin resistance), how to put the brakes on ageing and how to exercise without wearing yourself out (intensely, for 10-20 seconds at a time).

Client Eastwood

If you have gut problems this is worth a try. Specific Carbohydrate Diet.

"The allowed carbohydrates are monosaccharides and have a single molecule structure that allow them to be easily absorbed by the intestine wall. Complex carbohydrates which are disaccharides (double molecules) and polysaccharides (chain molecules) are not allowed. Complex carbohydrates that are not easily digested feed harmful bacteria in our intestines causing them to overgrow producing by products and inflaming the intestine wall. The diet works by starving out these bacteria and restoring the balance of bacteria in our gut."

http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/

luka

virtually everybody i know has fuked up guts but ive always put that down to massive alcohol and drug abuse, specifically skunk, rather than diet