Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Joni Mitchell worship thread

I feel like the first time I heard Blue (due to my parents, undoubtedly), I instantly knew I was in the presence of greatness. Didn't need to be thought about, or mulled over. Instant rewind status.

That doesn't mean it's better, perhaps, but certainly easier to love.

Beautiful song.

'For the Roses' has some of my favourite Joni tunes (Blue was always my personal fave tho)

Joni is a funny one for me i got blue early on, when i was at that stage of life where i thought i needed to hear all the canonical albums. id already decided the stones and the beatles and the beach boys and love were terrible so not them, but i got blue and i loved it and i still love it. i think its perfect. but i dont care about any other album of hers. couldnt give a shit. they mean nothing to me. same with astral weeks. i love that album. im even moved by it. but if i hear any other of his albums i feel like someones forcing unseasoned mashed potato down my throat, no butter, no salt, nothing.

From what I've heard, Blue is the best, but I love Hejira too and there's bare bangers on her other albums, just more sporadically dotted around.

I mean, what about the Blue Motel Rooms tune upthread? It's more jazzy than Blue, but you like Bill Evans don't you so you can relate.

I like bill Evans when I'm eating pasta with a sauce made out of tinned tomatoes

8. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Heijra is too diffuse and fusion for me. Not a direct assault on my dessicated shrivelled emotional organs

Never listened to a song of her I think, at least not consciously. It happens sometime, I completely ignore certain artists because somehow I think I won't like them anyway. Joni Mitchell is one of them. Might listen to one of these youtubes now.

Hejira has got Mays and Metheney writing in that thing they do for her as a backing band so its good but its also verging on tepidity.

I'm allergic to jazz fusion. It disgusts me.

The Gallery (1969)

I care more about Joni Mitchell's lyrics than most musicians, but this one I don't even register the words, the melody just slays me.

To have been so gifted at writing lyrics AND melodies (not to mention singing) really is remarkable.

I snuck this in here cos Luka has shut down COTD

Quote Originally Posted by deluxe.flex View Post
    'For the Roses' has some of my favourite Joni tunes (Blue was always my personal fave tho)

I should explore this album this week cos the below tune hit me out of nowhere on a shuffle function trip and I likes it