Joni Mitchell worship thread

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I mean, what about the Blue Motel Rooms tune upthread? It's more jazzy than Blue, but you like Bill Evans don't you so you can relate.

luka

I like bill Evans when I'm eating pasta with a sauce made out of tinned tomatoes

luka

Heijra is too diffuse and fusion for me. Not a direct assault on my dessicated shrivelled emotional organs

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
Never listened to a song of her I think, at least not consciously. It happens sometime, I completely ignore certain artists because somehow I think I won't like them anyway. Joni Mitchell is one of them. Might listen to one of these youtubes now.

CrowleyHead

Hejira has got Mays and Metheney writing in that thing they do for her as a backing band so its good but its also verging on tepidity.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

The Gallery (1969)

I care more about Joni Mitchell's lyrics than most musicians, but this one I don't even register the words, the melody just slays me.

To have been so gifted at writing lyrics AND melodies (not to mention singing) really is remarkable.

I snuck this in here cos Luka has shut down COTD

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
https://www.lrb.co.uk/v40/n04/john-lahr/so-hard-to-handle

This is a brilliant review of an (apparently) mediocre hagiography of Joni. It's probably behind a paywall for some of you. If you're interested PM me and I'll email it to you. Eye-opening for me as it reveals her to be in some respects a rather unlikable person, especially in her embittered later years.

Like many successful autodidacts, Mitchell was her own greatest invention; humble pie was not on her menu. ‘She was about as modest as Mussolini,’ according to David Crosby. Asked by one interviewer how she should be described – composer, songwriter, singer, painter – Mitchell said about her talent: ‘I don’t know what you’d call it. It’s definitely Renaissance.’

Mind you, you don't get many humble geniuses.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
are there any (non septuagenarian) geniuses with accoustic guitars knocking about these days?

other than Ed Sheeran, natch

craner

Beast of Burden
Blue is irritating: self-obsessed twiddling. Hissing is where it's at: L.A. decadence and slime, hard sunlight, the smell of chlorine.

jenks

thread death
Blue is the great personal work with the heft of emotion, raw and open to the world; Hissing is cool, languid, like Joan Didion - I listen to Hissing more but love Blue with the same fondness of first love.

rubberdingyrapids

i have a lot of her albums (there is an 80s compilation that i have that is as good as any proper album and maybe underrated in the wider scheme of joni things) but am no joni expert.
that said, she has a lot of very good guitar vamps in her songs, eg help me, for which i am grateful.
i once had a job at a record shop in notting hill and my main memory of don juans daughter is that i bought it while working there and the girl working there at the time also appreciated it and was very foxy which has enhanced my memory of it considerably.