Heights of joy ecstasy sublimity

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Minnie Ripperton, 'Les Fleurs'. Rich used to put this on when we went back to his flat after clubbing and on several occasions I had to leave the room for the duration of the song because it was too beautiful to bear.

Choral finale to Beethoven's 9th - obvious choice but it can't not be mentioned.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Not sure if this fits here but I had a really enjoyable day at Bestival a few years ago sat alone in my tent on a huge comedown weeping constantly as I listened to songs like 'U Don't Have To Call' by Usher. Not because they were sad, but because they were beautiful.

I was in floods of tears over the sublimity of the Neptunes.

In terms of transcendentally beautiful music, let me direct you to my Joni Mitchell worship thread.

re: Beethoven: never been a big fan of the 9th Symphony, irritatingly enough for me. This OTOH

However, I don't want to fill up luka's thread with a load of classical music. That's what my Desert Island Discs thread is going to be for.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Are you referring to an emotional state which is strictly joyful, as e.g. Gospel would be?

For me, music is most moving when it is simultaneously joyful and sad. For example, MJ's 'Rock with You'. It's a song about dancing and love and it sounds like pain.

Although in the case of Usher, I was crying because the song was so good and life is so short. :eek:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Interesting. You must have been on drugs surely?

Haha, you should know me (and Rich!) better than to ask a question like that. But it's a sublime* song anyway, whether you're loaded or straight. A piece of music that relies on you being pilled up to the eyeballs to be ecstatic is clearly not an inherently ecstatic song.

I'd also like to nominate 'Plateau' by the Meat Puppets, particularly the guitar solo outro:

*About the word itself: is there a worse band in existence than Sublime?

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Are you, like, totally teetotal, tea?

I want to bring up the point that some of the most deliberately sublime music (e.g. ambient) is utterly boring from the more commonly occupied vantage points.

rubberdingyrapids

alicia myers - i want to thank you

dangelo - another life
kanye - heard em say (not for the lyrics)
stevie - another star

not enough minor chords in sinnerman to be properly 'sublime' IMO

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Uh, I guess for a thread like this there can't really be any 'too obvious' choices? I ask because Da Blooz, at its most spiritual, provides plenty instances. I'd name 'Jesus Gonna Make Up My Dyin' Bed' by Josh White, for sure. Also Led Zep's 'In My Time Time Of Dying', which is largely based on the older song, especially the big breakdown that comes in at 7:20, "And I see them in the streets...". Proper shivers-down-the-spine stuff.

Luke will hate me for filling up his thread with extremely un-Luke-like music, I'm sure.

Are you, like, totally teetotal, tea?

I've been things you people wouldn't believe.

CrowleyHead

I don't get this feeling, I always mentally turn everything joyous into something with a depressive edge for some reason if I enjoy it. :<