Poll Ideas - Naughties Nuum

droid

i never understood why people liked omni trio so much personally, or any of that watery jungle stuff (then again i didnt like R&G that much either). but i look forward to seeing where it places in this poll.

Ive seen a bit of this insanity around. Its upsetting.

droid

Omni Trio couldnt be classed as 'watery' (in the Bukem/flytronix/peshay kinda vein) in their prime either. They were jungle pop. Ruff and smooth in one package.

rubberdingyrapids

that one started off quite well.

and then it started to sound a bit like a cut price bond theme tune.

edit - ill try DLing the mixes when i get home. i had the same issue with another mix i found on your site from several years back when i tried to get it a few weeks ago, but that was also at work, so fingers x.

droid

Yeah - its a Bond melody - then it gets really deep.

Definitely something at your end - I was just dicking around on the server the other day - everything is still there and working.

luka

Here's my artist's impression of you compiling your 1000 song playlist

tumblr_mbduvkuspZ1qe6vsbo1_400.jpg

Not entirely inaccurate.

1000:
Not 1000 songs anymore. 970 cos stuff gets deleted

luka

I posted my longlist in the hope of tipping the poll raggawards. Probably undemocratic

craner

Beast of Burden
I put a long list together. This is hard though. My current top 10 are:

Rufige Kru, Terminator 2 Remix
Foul Play, Finest Illusion (Legal Mix)
Origin Unknown, Valley of the Shadows
DJ Crystl, Warpdrive
A Guy Called Gerald, Nazinji Zaka
Shimon, Predator
E-Z Rollers, Believe
Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, Drowning in Her
Tom & Jerry, Maximum Style
Omni Trio, Renegade Snares (Foul Play remix)

craner

Beast of Burden
That 'Razors Edge' is an amazing 12", I actually thought I was the only one who'd twigged or even had that. Also my first jungle purchase in 93, Intense 'Paradox', now a darkcore classic apparently, but the real killer is the b-side 'Journey to the Unknown'...

droid

Waayy ahead of its time. The quintessential jungle tune. 'Full Cry' is outstanding as well.

Was chatting to Monita a bit when he popped on on social media a few years back. Lovely bloke. He put up a ton of old mix-tapes he'd recorded during the heyday - 10 or so over the course of about a year.

droid

Also, how anyone could put up a list of best jungle tunes without any FBD completely baffles me.

craner

Beast of Burden
It's not a list, mind, we're preparing for a poll. The rules haven't been declared yet. Keep your ammunition dry.

luka

Of course my list isn't like yours droid in that mine is coloured by memories of the time, hearing those records again and again and again, on kool, on the streets, at carnival, how jungle and London were one and the same thing at that time. How new it was, not just aesthetically, but culturally, that it meant something and everybody knew it and the pride and fierce joy that went with that.

Difficult to understand for provincial types, far from the red hot centre of power, people who discovered the genre retrospectively, well after the movement had stalled and the moment passed.

Interesting to see the canon you have constructed alone of course, a kind of cargo cult version of jungle.