best pastiche pop of the last few years

luka

like i know theres heaps of this shit cos i even hear it in the co-op let alone like, topshop or something

luka

trying to keep my finger on the pulse just answer the question pls we're not here to gossip

luka

probably my favourite type of music from the hipster years. gauzy, muffled, quiet despair.

luka

theres some lass with like a greek name or something who done one i heard in the co-op i need to remember it

luka

this is the one corpsey posted. voice so weak its almost painful but i still like it

luka

i dont know which is my favourite song of the decade, that haim one or lost by frank ocean

PiLhead

Haim is pastiche in so far as they've gone to quite a lot of trouble to get mid-80s drum sounds and that bell-tone synth that was omnipresent and some of the vocals have got this harsh glace sort of process that's totally Lyndsey Buckingham on Tango in the Night

but

the emotions in the songs are totally real, coming from life

and

the sheer musicality in the playing, the rhythmatized singing, the guitar micro-licks, on 'Honey Hi', the way the grooves jump etc etc

to me it transcends pastiche

whenever i listen to that album i get this affect i can only describe as 'the shock of ability'

bit like listening to Off the Wall

very much an inegalitarian sensation of 'some people are just better'

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.

Jessie Ware touchstone there is obvs Cyndi Lauper.

If I Could Change Your Mind is amazing - reminds me really strongly of a couple of 80s tunes I can't quite put my finger on. (Not Tango in the Night in this particular case.)