The Dissensus Jungle Poll Is Now Open

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Prodigy did do "Ruff in the Jungle" on the debut album - which is great, but not really jungle

Done five seconds of research

Admits Liam, “There’s loads of quality jungle tracks around. The problem was that a lot of people thought it was so easy to make hardcore that they just knocked out white labels and flooded the market with crap. But this year there’s been a lot of intelligent jungle. Moving Shadow are the leading label.”

But Liam still doesn’t like the attitude and moody atmosphere that so often surrounds jungle ’94, and which is so different from the nutty, luv’d up vibe of ’ardkore ’92.

“The reason I got into rave was that hip-hop had gotten too much into attitude. To me, the jungle scene now is really confused. One minute they’ll play something really uplifting and the next it’s dark and gloomy. Also, that music’s lost a bit of energy. Because it’s so fast, people don’t dance to the 160bpm drums, they lock into the reggae baseline, which is half speed. So you dance really slow. With techno, you dance to the full-on beat. The stuff I really rate is European, like CJ Bolland and a lot of the German artists.”

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...e-prodigy-classic-interview-1994-melody-maker

and

Liam Howlett: I haven’t listened to that album in its entirety since I made it. When they played it the other night I listened to it in my car and took a detour just to take all of it in. I just couldn’t believe how long it was! There are bits that I actually can’t remember how I did it. I obviously did, but I couldn’t remember how I made the sound. That record was a reaction to everything that was going on around us, even the jungle scene. The tempo was going up and up, so I thought fuck that we’ll go down and we wrote ‘Poison’, which was a hip hop track. ‘No Good’ was a reaction to the shit Euro dance thing that was going on. It’s an angry album.

http://www.dazeddigital.com/music/article/20659/1/liam-howlett-lord-of-the-dance

Sounds like he didn't like the tempo, primarily. The 'confusion' over mood thing is interesting, insofar as that's one of the things I love about jungle. The loved up intros and breakdowns and the stripped down aggression of the drops... And actually, it arguably all went 'wrong' for some people when it became full-on dark time during the Metalheadz/TechStep era. (Coexisting with the jazzy shit, up to the end of the 90s, I guess?)

DNB, whcih I did used to be into, for my money went wrong because it DID go so fast, up to and past 170bpm, at which point the beats become necessarily formulaic and rigid.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
And actually, it arguably all went 'wrong' for some people when it became full-on dark time during the Metalheadz/TechStep era. (Coexisting with the jazzy shit, up to the end of the 90s, I guess?)

That's a general sort of consensus, yes, although Luke maintains that it all went wrong in 1994.

firefinga

June 1993

Here is my list for june '93:

Bizzy B and Technochild - Dubplate Wars/Obsession
DJ Deckjammer - Prince Of Darkness
DJ Lee - A Touch of Darkness
Luna C - Mission of Madness-EP
Enforcers 3 - Especially Rufige Cru-Rollin Like Scottie
FBD Project - The Core
Noise Factory - Generation X
Hyper On Experience - Deaf In The Family-EP
Lemon D - Something I Feel
Smokey Joe - A Wha Dat (Gimme My Gun)
Straight From The Bedroom II - The Last Years
Sub Love - Always In My Mind (Instrumental Mix)
Subplates Vol.1
Rude Boy Project - Scary/Crimestretch

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

I'm guessing this won't pop up, despite coming out in 95. It's more of a 96 tune, yes?

I will always love this cos my sister gave me a tape that must have been platinum breakz and I used to hum this with my mate while waiting to go into music class.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
94, from my brief research over the last week/s, is when jungle was absolutely crystallised as a genre. You know how genres sort of emerge and coalesce and there's that year or so where they can just be what they are, without shooting off in different directions? Maybe that's bollocks. But 93 a lot of tunes are still hardcore.

Luka will not appreciate this comparison but dubstep had the same thing. It was dark garage at one point, then it became dubstep, and for about a year or two it was 'just' that. Then all these other influences came in and it split apart...

luka

i dont have a problem with that comment. its how dance music in london has operated. even grime. 2003 was the year. its been shit ever since.

luka

i dont have a problem with that comment. its how dance music in london has operated. even grime. 2003 was the year. its been shit ever since.

unless you really like listening to jme mixtapes or whatever

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
94, from my brief research over the last week/s, is when jungle was absolutely crystallised as a genre. You know how genres sort of emerge and coalesce and there's that year or so where they can just be what they are, without shooting off in different directions? Maybe that's bollocks. But 93 a lot of tunes are still hardcore.

Luka will not appreciate this comparison but dubstep had the same thing. It was dark garage at one point, then it became dubstep, and for about a year or two it was 'just' that. Then all these other influences came in and it split apart...

I've got a half-arsed theory that there are people who want homogenous and predictable stuff when they go out and there are people who respond more to varied and unpredictable stuff, and that while the former are much more numerous, they also take a lot longer to get their heads around anything new. Which is why a new style normally has a couple of years of grace between coalescing as a coherently identifiable thing and turning into an ossified parody of itself.

luka

breakbeat, plus reggae sample. not jungle. childhood favourite of mine. lot of radio play.

luka

this was easily the most played tune on radio at the time though. not even close. was about 11 so cant tell you what it was doing in the raves. that switch up on 50 seconds is so classic

luka

do it.
Caspar Pound

Pound was not, as some have suggested, a descendant of the famous and controversial poet Ezra Pound; his step-brother is Labour MP Stephen Pound and his grandfather was the biographer Reginald Pound. Originally from Peterborough, he shot to fame at age 19 with the single "Total Confusion", and then founded the Rising High and Sapho labels. As The Hypnotist he became a star in Germany, and played at the Love Parade to thousands of ravers.

Caspar Pound died on 30 April 2004, aged 33.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rising_High_Records

PiLhead

this turns out to actually be 95, feels 96 (which is why i eliminated it from consideration)

love the driving in my BMW through the winding narrow hedgerow-lined lanes of West Hertfordshire (where Goldie has lived for a while now) vibe

not so keen on the flip

this one was 96 but do love the 10cc-goes-D&B flavour

A member of the horrifically prolific / prolifically horrific Aquasky

Last edited:

luka

I never heard of dave Wallace. Imagine releasing records under the name dave Wallace. Aquasky were from Bournemouth. That explains everything.

firefinga

July and August 1993

Here is my list for July/August 1993:

It's just ridiculous how much awesomeness got released during the summer of '93:

2 Bad Mice - Pitch Black (Boom Boom Version)
A Guy Called Gerald - Anything V 2.1
Acen - Window in the Sky (Monolythikmaniak Mix)
Bay B Kane - Parallelle
Beyond The future - Feel It
Bizzy B - Slow Jam/Ecstacy is a Science
Blame - A21
Boogie Times Tribe - The Dark Stranger/Real Hardcore (Pt.1)
D.O.P.E. - Dope On Plastic pt.2
DCruze - Bass Go Boom/Want You Know
DJ Crystl - Dark Crystl
DJ Phantasy - The Atmosphere
DJ Rap - Vertigo
DJ Senator and The Bagman - Tranqued
DJ Trace - I Never Felt This Way (Intel Mix)
Foul Play - Open Your Mind (original and remix)
Hardware - X Amounts Of Shots
Hyper On Experience - Lord Of The Null Lines (Foul Play Remix)
Krome and Time - The Slammer
Omni Trio - Mystic Stepper - Feel Good
Pascal and Sponge - Raw Basics
Pascal and Sponge - Just Rollin A Fat B
Peshay and Roger Johnson - In My Soul
Phuture Assassins - Roots N Future-EP
Rhythm For Reasons - Music In The Search Of Light
Rufige Kru - Ghosts Of My Life/Fabio's Ghost
Smith Inc - Palomino
Sound Of The Future - Fearless Wonder
Tango - Future Followers
Undergraduates - A Space
Unknown Warrior - Take Me Away/Respect
Younghead - Creatures Of The Light-EP

luka

Wish I could digitise the tape I recorded of kool fm on the nye of 93/94 it would make you all love me. My most treasured possession by far.