Status
Not open for further replies.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
the original is one of the very best Paradise Garage new wave tunes, absolute scorcher

say what you will about Sting, dude can lay down a bassline

lifted here for a disco rap backing track a la Chic, Liquid Liquid, etc

and redone full-on Loft style by Began Cekic, another of the Levan etc generation of key NYC post-disco producers

padraig (u.s.)

first track I ever heard with those chopped up stutter freestyle vocals, was instantly hooked

actually probably one of the first big post-disco/pre-house tunes I ever heard, tho I didn't know it at the time

mix done by Bruce Forest, who also famously did the amazing Better Days version of I Was Born This Way - talk about anthems

padraig (u.s.)

They've got plenty, but if I had to choose one it'd be this.

this is my favorite SY-related thing of all time

tbh tho I haven't been able to not think of SY as jerks ever since the video of them bullying Nardwuar

seriously some straight up high school jock bullying the nerd bullshit, except much, much worse cos they were all in their mid-30s and their supposed to yunno cool

padraig (u.s.)

and here you all go

80s soul boys and Mood Hut lovers can unite over this surprisingly tender and beautiful downtempo jam by Celso Valli

seriously I fucking love this song tho, legit feels

Leo

back in the day, i made a cassette compilation of only the lee renaldo songs from SY albums, made for a cool 30 minutes or so. pulled apart from the albums and stacked together, it was like an alt-version of SY without much of the the gordon/moore drama and pretense. he only had about one song per album, so maybe he was forced to narrow done all the choices to the single strongest track.

this was his non-LP b-side of "100%" that's got the noisy experimental rock thing but with a catchy hook

padraig (u.s.)

There was also the whole break-up saga, book and all
that didn't make me think less of them at all, maybe Thurston a bit, but it's really their business. marriages end, people do shitty things in relationships.

that affected laidback cool thing is one of several reasons I've never really warmed to SY, they just come across like such poseurs, pioneers of fuckboyism

and idk man their music is like a much worse version of Glenn Branca but more 80s alt rawked out. like, there's plenty of way better noise rock w/o lame bros.

ymmv ofc I can definitely how they'd have been an important band for certain kinds of heads of a certain age

Status
Not open for further replies.