Status
Not open for further replies.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
(very) broadly speaking there's 2 funks. tight and loose
I once heard an muso-academic type describe them as "funky" and "fonky" respectively, which is dumb but as good a way of saying it as any

tho - to focus in a bit from that broadness - it's really a spectrum with JB at one end + P-funk at the other

i.e. your cited examples would go: James Brown----Meters----Sly Stone----Funkadelic

padraig (u.s.)

how much james brown or family stone can you actually say is funky?
James Brown is definitely funky - if Cold Sweat, Hot Pants, The Payback etc isn't funky, literally nothing is funky. he is funk + funk is him.

George Clinton isn't always funky - tho more often than folks are crediting here - but his galaxy of projects is intrinsically fonky

Different, seemingly opposed philosophical approaches to reach the same goal

The dialectic of funk - Tighten Up vs. Free Your Mind + Your Ass Will Follow - united as one nation under a groove

padraig (u.s.)

but "black Frank Zappa" is indeed harsh and unfair

Clinton + co. single-handedly invented the sound of g-funk and were a massive influence on the entire 80s electro-funk continuum

and you have to reckon his example for other orchestrator oddballs like Patrick Adams

not to mention their contributions to Afrofuturism (Aqua Boogie + Paul Gilroy = Drexciya)

Zappa influenced any time people want to take a perfectly functional genre-sound and make it gratuitously progressive

and think on this - if George Clinton is black Frank Zappa then Sun Ra is the original black Frank Zappa (or maybe Moondog is the white Sun Ra)

padraig (u.s.)

not that I'm surprised P-F isn't as popular around here - too rock, heavy guitars, etc

Eddie Hazel one of the worthiest inheritors of Jimi's legacy i.e. 1983 A Merman points directly to Maggot Brain

and this is his All Along the Watchtower repurposed blow the doors wayyyy off the original moment

only better cos you haven't heard it 10000 times and the built-in 70s>>>60s advantage

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Growing up listening to a lot of breaks based dance music made it difficult to get how P Funk with its straight beats could be considered funky. Thinking that Clyde stubblefield and jabo starks were the be all and end all. But after getting into electro and boogie it all started to make more sense. The funk was coming from Bootsy, Bernie & Eddie. Then I remembered I loved snoop and dre's first albums and it was like coming back home.

And Sly and the Family Stone - There's a Riot Goin On is one of the funkiest lps ever made.

padraig (u.s.)

sometimes you English people do get a thing or 2 right, I have to say

2 Angela Conway-collab ethereal gems from Wire's extended 80s catalog

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

Some people's idea of a musical nightmare, I suppose, but to my sentimental ears often totally beautiful. I definitely have a weak spot, a wound, for this sort of romanticism.

Status
Not open for further replies.