Status
Not open for further replies.

craner

Beast of Burden
All looking old these guys now but I still love them.

Of all these pre-Millenial outer-Wu albums there is a hierarchy, at least an aesthetic one.

I think, of course, Heavy Mental is a masterpiece, one of the greatest albums ever made. The production is mostly good going on great, but KP shapes it, dominates it, makes it a classic by sheer force of will, dexterity, imagination, and genius. Nothing falls out.

Sunz of Man had a superb collection of talent, but their brilliance is spread across a scatter of official and unofficial albums, with beef and bad decisions underming their impact.

Killarmy were on the face of it far less talented. Even now I find it hard to distinguish their various members. YET. ‘Silent Weapons for Quiet Wars’ is a lost classic on a par with ‘Heavy Mental’.

The production is immaculate: it’s 4th Disciple’s masterpiece.

The lyrics are a collective swarm of fascistic inventictive, out of control, absurd, provocative, horrible, powerful. These days sounds more prescient than ever. Razor blades stashed inside a bible...I cut off the heads of those who worship Adam and Eve etc

If you go back it is these two intense albums. Heavy Mental and Quiet Wars. (But also the second Killarmy album, Sunz ‘The First Testament’ compilation and that fabled lost Royal Fam album deserve a mention)....

Last edited:

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind

i miss the sea

But I wasn't so backward that I didn't know something else existed beyond me: the rock where I clung, obviously, and also the water that reached me with every wave, but other stuff, too, farther on: that is, the world. The water was a source of information, reliable and precise: it brought me edible substances which I absorbed through all my surface, and other inedible ones which still helped me form an idea of what there was around. The system worked like this: a wave would come, and I, still sticking to the rock, would raise myself up a little bit, imperceptibly -- all I had to do was loosen the pressure slightly -- and, splat, the water passed beneath me, full of substances and sensations and stimuli. You never knew how those stimuli were going to turn out, sometimes a tickling that made you die laughing, other times a shudder, a burning, and itch; so it was a constant seesaw of amusement and emotion. But you mustn't think I just lay there passively, dumbly accepting everything that came: after a while I had acquired some experience and I was quick to analyze what sort of stuff was arriving and to decide how I should behave, to make the best use of it or to avoid the more unpleasant consequences. It was all a kind of game of contractions, with each of the cells I had, or of relaxing at the right moment: and I could make my choices, reject, attract, even spit. http://www.ruanyifeng.com/calvino/2007/06/ch_12_the_spiral.html

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I love Craner, he always brings the quality

I've never been man enough for anybody, least of all myself, so in a sense this is a masochistic choice. The devil has all the best choons.

sadmanbarty

back when you'd record the tv on to vhs we recorded the three musketeers off of itv and it had the tail end of a music show on the front of it. it had this and cher's believe (which would be the song ultimately responsible for ascending to "rap pundit" status. i was a bout 4 or 5 and i'd make my nan laugh by pretending i had an erection whenever there was kissing in the film.

craner

Beast of Burden
Culture Club were, I reckon and ACTUALLY, great. Boy George had a georgeous Lovers Rock voice.

Therefore my tune of the day is:

craner

Beast of Burden
Talking of Toni (who I loved) there was also Chante (who I loved):

So I got this on 12" when it came out and was happy to find a Sunship remix on the other side though I never heard it played on the North London garage pirate stations at the time (2000, so it was still their era, but only just). Odd as it was one of theirs and I literally have hours of recorded tape from this period. Sounds good still, if a little bit awkward:

craner

Beast of Burden
Talking of that late UKG era this was a big tune on the North London stations and Lady Spirit had a popular spot too, I have a few tapes of her. Who was she? This takes me back to a happy time in my life, and it still sounds crisp:

craner

Beast of Burden
* Talking of the Royal Fam album. It wasn't that good. But here's the thing. I found it in Selectadisc in Soho back in 2001 for like 4 quid. I flogged it during one of my booze and fags fund raising periods a few years later (some other heavy casulaties of this time included the first Jeru album on vinyl and a gold coloured vinyl version of Stereolab's Random Noise Bursts...)...

As in all these cases it's now worth big £££s.

Some stuff I mercifully kept is also pricey but kept because I would never ever sell it. The Todd Edwards records are the main examples here. No way anybody is getting those off me

craner

Beast of Burden
What I don't get is what booze logic led me to flog Jeru but not Show & AG Goodfellas.

It was lucky in a way because the latter is now very rare in all formats but the Jeru I picked up on CD for less than I sold it years later. But still...crazy booze logic.

droid

I like it when Craner randomly reappears and ejacualtes his opinons all over the board like the tumescent spurting of a nocturnal sex pest.

Status
Not open for further replies.