Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo

i'm with benny, "cut" is a great album. primitive outsider songs by musicians who were just learning how to play their instruments, transported into a crude but otherworldly dub by budgie.

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

That said, as an extension of craners postpunk post my tune of the day is the raincoats dancing in my head (you'll have to google it youself). Luka will hate it!

Benny Bunter

i'm with benny, "cut" is a great album. primitive outsider songs by musicians who were just learning how to play there instruments, transported into a crude but otherworldly dub by budgie.

And dennis bovell of course, but credit has to go the slits themselves above all. Awesome lyrics too.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Dancing in My Head is an amazing tune, always sounded v Krautrocky to me. never really got the appeal of The Slits tho, as it were

the sharpness of the strings in DimH remind me a little of this:

Last edited:

Leo

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0zGcUoRlhmw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I resent Corpsey's insistence on content to supply songs, music should either work or not, however I am going to say that this... Is America. Take it how you will.

i must be so out of touch with what's happening because that seems like such a formulaic non-song, sounds like 1,000 other tracks i could find by randomly clicking on the new releases on iTunes, with no real hook, personality or general reason to be. ok, that's harsh, but really, is this what passes as a successful hit nowadays?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Hey you don't have to accompany shit with shit, I'm just saying I'm probably not going to listen to it. ❌

Apropos of nothing, I heard the worst song I've ever heard the other day. It was a cover of 'The sound of silence' by Disturbed. Honestly, you should check it out. It's almost COTD status on shittyness alone.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
<iframe src="https://embed.spotify.com/?uri=spotify:album:47VY19Wigb6VXZael6GLNj" width="300" height="380" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

Flava D and Miss Fire - Happy (2016)

Just randomly came across this on Spotify. It's a nice unassuming bit of 2-step, Disclosure style. It's got me in the summer mood on the last day of October.

Good to see Miss Fire's name pop up again. She made some good funky tunes back in the day.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
Was looking for Gang Starr 'The Question Remainz' on YouTube but couldn't find it so dragged up this instead. Baseball bat!

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

SOLANGE - DON'T YOU WAIT

Luka did a Solange choon a page back but not this Solange choon. I'd bet on this getting a video in the near future.

The real killer for me here is that harmonic change when she sings 'STILL LOOKING FOR NOTHING'. I'm not a trained musician so I dunno what's going on there. But the producer rams it home by playing those chords with piano. It's a sublime little injection of unease (or something) into the stable harmonic pulse of the song... AND I LOVE IT.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Afrobeats with a gorgeous I VI II V chord progression; the sound of of all-encompasing, wide-eyed, adolescent love.

I love how goofy and fun a lot of afrobeats sounds. It's got a jovial spirit to it that you don't get in a lot of Western music. (Africa's not part of 'The West' is it?)

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I don NOT feel like a boss today after my flatmates' fucking kept me up til 2am but last night listening to this I thought 'this is 🔥🔥🔥 I must pick it for tomorrow's COTD':

MEEK MILL feat. RICKY ROZAY aka. RENZELL - IMA BOSS (2011)

I don't think Meek will ever top this one, nor Jahil Beats Hollatme. Most inspirational gym music ever. Most quotables in a Meek verse ever. Rozay only crying when babies die, AND WHEN I DIE THAT CASKET BETTER COST A HUNDRED THOU. 5/5, Oscar worthy song.

luka

one of those ones that burst straight into the canon on release. perfect in every way. rick ross is happy in philly cos everyone has a shaved head and a big beard. video launched a 100 London bike gangs doing wheelies up the A2.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I BE RIDIN' THROUGH MY OLD HOOD/BUT I'M IN MY NEW WHIP

WE POPPIN' BOTTLES LIKE I SCORED THE WINNING TOUCHDOWN

CRIB I AIN'T NEVER BEEN/POOL I'ON EVEN SWIM

etc.

Godly.

I always wished Meek and Ross would make an album together. Too much Meek yelling on his solo albums. You need Rozay's calm deep burr Yin to go with Meek's excited terrier Yang.

Status
Not open for further replies.