Status
Not open for further replies.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
After that discussion I was tempted to post 'Lick the Pussy' by the Beatnuts but

One of those tunes that properly straddled the Hardcore / Jungle divide, kaned by everyone BITD. The 4/4 intro was a sign of where Vibes would eventually go, but this was dark as F. Wishdokta went on to become one of THE best UKG producers...UKG fans will know him better as Grant Nelson.

craner

Beast of Burden

Not sure if she’s talking about San Pedro near Marbella, but it’s a dump. Why is she dreaming about it?

luka

This the theme music for every time I'm out on the street stacking ps in other words every day.
Just pips bmf to the post for best Ross record.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I'm fond of the people on the internet/Twitter dedicated to pointing out that Rick Ross probably never even met Manuel Noriega, and that if he did, then the number of favours due to him was likely to be rather less than a hundred.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

OFB feat Headie One - Know Better

I just had this beat in my head this morning for some reason. It's a bit like the sound a mosquito makes when it flies past your ear and you spasm involuntarily. As for the lyrics, this is a good example of how intrinsic the notion of disguise is to drill - saying 'shhh!' instead of a name or a weapon. Codes. Ski masks. Even the beat is sort of twitchy, paranoid, holding itself back.

sadmanbarty

Such obscurity isn’t merely for poetic purposes however. Cryptolects such as rhyming slang and Polari are centuries-old secret languages, often used to communicate without being understood by law enforcement. The use of the word “shush” in drill lyrics to replace the names of victims and weapons as well as to describe specific acts of criminality is testament to this

Snap

sadmanbarty

i wrote a big article about it but the website that were going to publish it got in some racial controversy, so thought it best not to go with it for now at least.

sadmanbarty

this is one of those songs that's ubiquitous throughout the rest of the world, but hasn’t penetrated past into the m25 (occupied as we are with stabbing and africans seeing god in cleanliness and material acquisition). so it’s very much a sex tour song for me.

i didn’t like it when i first heard it. that’s partly down to being what third calls an ‘innovation nut’, but it’s also the bleakness. the chord progression’s a bit off. it’s slower than it should be. sparser. it took a while to get to grips with the pop of it.

“something in you, lit up heaven in me” is where it really gets going. its like one of those people whose smile makes you smile. sonic charisma. but a memory for them. yearning. meeting someone at a party and falling in love, but never seeing them again. you fall in love with people you know the least. or maybe its arrogance. love for the self in a very literal sense. i’m genuinely in love with myself. touching yourself. the warms emanating from your belly.

then the chorus. pop at its best is inventing new playground chants. that’s why nelly’s great. jamaican’s are great at it. it sounds like something you should’ve heard a million times. a pocket full of poses. pure singing in the mirror with a hair brush as a microphone.

that instrumental post chorus is somewhat feverish. the sluggish reverse piano. if the brass were to be fantasia-style anthropomorphised they’d have down syndrome.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I love that song, although it is maddeningly catchy, like an STI you caught on holz where the sex was good but now your piss burns.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

I quite like this variety of etiolated rock music, the bass very low in the mix, badly recorded. Just all scuzzy distortion. Almost punky. A quick 'glance' through Exile on Main Street has me thinking this lo-fi quality is key to its appeal. Lo-fi is something of a whiteboy speciality isn't it?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
more just making sure that if it got published and he read it he wouldn't go "that cunt nicked my idea without asking".

Always daydreaming atm of starting a magazine/journal like BANG! or whatever that one Pound did was called, only it's Dissensoid writings on music. A riposte to all the over-polite, over-PC, overempathetic music writing that's out there.

But am I seriously going to motivate myself to do that?

Also, horrible misgivings that it might turn into The Quietus

CrowleyHead

You can always abandon it in a fit of shame and leave it to whomever among us is the most nakedly mediocre but eager to make money. That's how the greats do it.

forclosure

came across this not too long ago when i saw Matmos down Camden Deiter Mobius, Tim Story and Jon Leidecker aka Wobbly out of Negativland the 2nd of two albums they did together

i really like it

Status
Not open for further replies.