Status
Not open for further replies.

luka

this one is very memory rich and evocative.

on the surface it's the sound of being in luke's flat at 1 or 2 in the morning on a week night and just being happy and contented there. just being so pleased to be with this bloke who understands me and inspires me and just sitting together listening to music and chatting bollocks for a couple of hours.

but the instrumental itself reminds me of the theme of the x files. i've never actually seen the show, but as a little kid i'd stay up for hours and hours on weekends and watch these channel 4 'top 100' shows (top '100 funniest moments', 'top 100 songs', etc.). my favourite was top 100 scariest moments. it was really magical being i guess 8 or 9 years old watching all these clips of canonical horror films with exorcisms and ghosts and whatever emanating from the tv while my tired body was at its most suggestive and susceptible. the x files was featured as one of the scariest moments, so that theme tune brings back these very happy, phantasmic memories.

Wow. Just seen this. Made genuinely emotional. Came at just the right time. Really love you Barty, you're a brilliant human being.

luka

corpsey back in the day. not bad actually. brackles filmed it apparently.

The tragedy of this is it's genuinely one of the great instrumentals OF ALL TIME. I love it as much as anything. and Tinie Tempah of all people got it. Why?

sadmanbarty

ALL WRITING IS IN FACT CUT-UPS OF GAMES AND ECONOMIC BEHAVIOR OVERHEARD? WHAT ELSE? ASSUME THAT THE WORST HAS HAPPENED EXPLICIT AND SUBJECT TO STRATEGY IS AT SOME POINT CLASSICAL PROSE. CUTTING AND REARRANGING FACTOR YOUR OPPONENT WILL GAIN INTRODUCES A NEW DIMENSION YOUR STRATEGY. HOW MANY DISCOVERIES SOUND TO KINESTHETIC? WE CAN NOW PRODUCE ACCIDENT TO HIS COLOR OF VOWELS. AND NEW DIMENSION TO FILMS CUT THE SENSES. THE PLACE OF SAND. GAMBLING SCENES ALL TIMES COLORS TASTING SOUNDS SMELL STREETS OF THE WORLD. WHEN YOU CAN HAVE THE BEST ALL: “POETRY IS FOR EVERYONE” DR NEUMANN IN A COLLAGE OF WORDS READ HEARD INTRODUCED THE CUT-UP SCISSORS RENDERS THE PROCESS GAME AND MILITARY STRATEGY, VARIATION CLEAR AND ACT ACCORDINGLY. IF YOU POSED ENTIRELY OF REARRANGED CUT DETERMINED BY RANDOM A PAGE OF WRITTEN WORDS NO ADVANTAGE FROM KNOWING INTO WRITER PREDICT THE MOVE. THE CUT VARIATION IMAGES SHIFT SENSE ADVANTAGE IN PROCESSING TO SOUND SIGHT TO SOUND. HAVE BEEN MADE BY ACCIDENT IS WHERE RIMBAUD WAS GOING WITH ORDER THE CUT-UPS COULD “SYSTEMATIC DERANGEMENT” OF THE GAMBLING SCENE IN WITH A TEA HALLUCINATION: SEEING AND PLACES. CUT BACK. CUT FORMS. REARRANGE THE WORD AND IMAGE TO OTHER FIELDS THAN WRITING.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape

first off, Billy Thorpe was a fucking cool guy

he was a teen idol crooner in the first half of the 60s who was later utterly converted to the ways of HEAVY ROCK + spent several years remaking himself in the form of longhair sonic attack guitar

(largely inspired by true Australian psychedelic cult heavy guitar hero Lobby Lloyde)

but also, he could fucking sang. we talking Wilson Pickett, Demetrio Stratos type pipes. way above the functional but whatever vocals level most 70s hard rock enjoys.

this video, which I love + have watched many, many times, demonstrates both amply

that shimmering, soaring organ ringing out for a full minute as the crowd shuffles in

and then Billy's voice, out of the darkness soaring down ON TOP of the goddamn organ torch song crooning from an other world impossible yearning "somebody left me crying"

and then the drums, a walking bassline, tethering Billy back down to the material, tangible world, heavy cymbal hit, low tones

and then, like a goddamn werewolf, Billy morphs from wailing torch singer to full-blown heavy rawk guitar lord, smashing the absolute fuck outta that pentatonic

descending finally into keening feedback out of which arises an absolutely devastating Sabbath type riff

I know this ain't the kinda thing of a lotta Dissensus regulars but god damn if I don't love it

there are times when I think 70s hard rock is actually my favorite music ever bar none

padraig (u.s.)

the sound of being in luke's flat at 1 or 2 in the morning on a week night and just being happy and contented there. just being so pleased to be with this bloke who understands me and inspires me and just sitting together listening to music and chatting bollocks for a couple of hours.
having been in luka's flat, albeit not that late (tho, pretty off our faces), I feel like finally understand yall's relationship better, reading that

luka makes a ton more sense to me in irl - got the feeling it was mutual - and this does too

padraig (u.s.)

also the X-Files was my favorite show growing up (or maybe tied with the latter seasons of Star Trek:TNG and the early ones of DS9)

I've seen I think every episode of the first 7 seasons, tho I gave up on it when Mulder was abducted so Duchovny could leave the show

really ahead of it's time in terms of metanarrative, 4th wall stuff, w/really clever writing i.e. "Jose Chung's From Outer Space", and a surprising amount of great comedic episodes/moments

the main big alien conspiracy doesn't hold up super well. partially cos of goofy overplotting, but mostly I think cos it reflects such a different time - the Clinton years, that brief "end of history" Pax Americana, when we had to invent existential problems cos it didn't like there were any - post-Cold War, pre-9/11, "global warming" a fringe issue at best. black helicopters, the NWO, Waco, the militia movement, Timothy McVeigh (the original homegrown white terrorist mass killer), etc

it was fun at the time tho, black ooze, faceless men, clones, bees, mysterious sources

the inexplicable (but obv necessary) plot hole that no one just shot Mulder in the back in the head instead of letting Scully + him investigate their ultrasecret conspiracy for like a decade

luka

Yep feelings mutual padraig. It's always helpful meeting in the flesh I reckon. Get a way more rounded picture. I thought you were going to be a really abrasive and confrontational bodybuilder!

sadmanbarty

the classic quartet was about solidity. mccoy tyner's muscular block chords. elvin jones' bellicose impact.

this sees that disintegrate. alice coltrane's piano sounds like a floating kingdom. rashied ali's drums sound like sedimentary rock crumbling.

as it was recorded coltrane himself was disintegrate. soon he would leave this physical plane and ascend to the floating kingdom.

sadmanbarty

tony williams ride cymbal like shards of ice slicing through the air.

it really get going with sam rivers solo. that gorgeous sunny bit at the beginning followed by all that orgasmic honking with tony williams having loads of fun in the background

should have been a quartet without miles

Status
Not open for further replies.