Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo

COTD while eating DOTD. some early miles, perhaps, or maybe a laid-back kruder & dorfmeister mix. instrumental preferred, something that doesn't intrude on conversation about how the day was, and helps digestion.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'm sorry but I really must demand more EFFORT here.

At least a sentence or two to explain your choice!

I know I haven't always done this, but this thread is useless if it's just a solid wall of YouTube links that nobody else (not me anyway) is listening to.

sadmanbarty

“if you believe you're a citizen of the world, you're a citizen of nowhere”

Theresa May

Davos music. Sleek marble worktops, touch screens, minimalist décor and glass sky scrapers. Polished sports car reverb. the bow of a luxury yacht graciously slicing through crystalline blue Mediterranean waters. The (non-)culture of global capital. An American and a Parisian make an English-language song with greta thunberg on vocals that combines tropes from African American rap, West Indian rhythms and Norwegian ‘tropical’ house and then go film the video in India (with snatches of urban development backdrops cropping up throughout the video).

This is pretty on its own:

do i get top marks mr law?

craner

Beast of Burden
I'm sorry but I really must demand more EFFORT here.

At least a sentence or two to explain your choice!

I know I haven't always done this, but this thread is useless if it's just a solid wall of YouTube links that nobody else (not me anyway) is listening to.

Definitely feeling disturbed and upset by Dinner of the Day.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'm not sure exactly why Luka hates this thread but I think it's probably because it represents the death of dissensus to him, insofar as its just a load of people posting youtube videos. There's no dialoguing or even monologuing to accompany it. It's #lowenergy posting.

Leo

Definitely feeling disturbed and upset by Dinner of the Day.

he witnessed the results I got after laying down the law on following the DOTD rules, so he's acting out a bit, being a copycat. all good, we're all on the same team.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Prior ages had the Petrarchan sonnet.

We have the Kaytrarchan Songet.

She shimmers like a California sunset
Lady lady, glitters but there's no gold
She carries sweetly infectious magic formulas
I'm so delirious, is she that serious?
Or is she bringing me on, I've been waiting so long

Notice that in the chorus, Jay Kay ceases to make much sense at all:

When this love, foolosophy is killing
Previous illusions that (I'm a love fool)
I had in my mind about you (I'm a love fool)
Seems so true, all the lies you're telling
Tragically compelling and (I'm a love fool)
My love, it means nothing to you
So maybe I'm still a love fool

Ignoramuses might think they spot a weak lyric here. But the title of the song leads us back to Plato - and to the concept of Divine ("platonic love") love emerging from Vulgar love ("shimmers like a california sunset")...

Pausanias, in Plato's Symposium (181b–182a), explained two types of love or Eros—Vulgar Eros or earthly love and Divine Eros or divine love. Vulgar Eros is nothing but mere material attraction towards a beautiful body for physical pleasure and reproduction. Divine Eros begins the journey from physical attraction, i.e. attraction towards beautiful form or body but transcends gradually to love for Supreme Beauty. This concept of Divine Eros is later transformed into the term platonic love. Vulgar Eros and Divine Eros are both connected and part of the same continuous process of pursuing totality of being itself,[4] with the purpose of mending human nature, eventually reaching a point of unity where there is no longer an aspiration to change.[5]

"Eros is [...] a moment of transcendence [...] in so far as the other can never be possessed without being annihilated in its status as the other, at which point both desire and transcendence would cease [...] (84) [5]

It's obvious that at the musically 'heightened' moment of the chorus, Jay Kay's love is also being heightened towards a self-annihilating, logic-less obLOVEian.

And people say LEONARD COHEN is a poet :crylarf:

Last edited:

sadmanbarty

jk has phil collins' sense of humour, but not his willingness to make a twit out of himself.

phil doesn't mind doing dad jokes, jk likes to think of himself as a bit more sophisticated than that.

sadmanbarty

you know that cheesy ripple effect they have in tv shows when someone remembers somehting; it's the effect they use to cut to said memory. this is almost like that, but it's hazier. more steam-like. the haze of our memories. that dream-like detachedness. the delay on the vocal. the hollow unrealness of the brass.

very wistful.

the shouty bit's infuriating regret.

Status
Not open for further replies.