Status
Not open for further replies.

version

I think barty's mistaking some of what happened online re: dubstep for the whole thing. I very much doubt Skream, Benga, Hatcha, the DMZ lot, D1 etc were reading Nick Land or even knew who he was.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
in terms of djs, dubstep is hatcha, youngsta and n-type. kode nine is like when goldie is sometimes invited to guest on old kool fm sets. it's a prestige thing. but those three and Skream were the big players driving the scene forward on a senius level.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Dubstep was pretty low on hardcore continuum signifiers as far as I recall. I was more or less unaware of garage when I got into dubstep but even now I'd find it hard to connect the stuff I was really into with garage so much as reggae, hip-hop and drumnbass/jungle. All the stuff I WAS into before I got into dubstep, hence the ease of transition.

Nowadays I never ever listen to dubstep. I think it was always a very club centric thing for me. I don't have speakers that can make your nostrils tremble. Also I was young, my drug honeymoon, etc... Sigh.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
dubstep was art that was solely about being conscious of itself; it's only impetus was metatextual.

...it ignored all the camp. all the sexuality. all the femininity. all the aggression. all the wryness.

This is well put. A good way to sum up what is going on in general. Over self awareness due to the feeling that we're being monitored all the time and presenting yourself and your work to the world as opposed to your small regional scene. Anonymity used to be a popular option. It's rare these days. And the 2nd small paragraph is some kind of side effect. Music just isn't sexy anymore. Even when it wants to be.

version

Dubstep was pretty low on hardcore continuum signifiers as far as I recall. I was more or less unaware of garage when I got into dubstep but even now I'd find it hard to connect the stuff I was really into with garage so much as reggae, hip-hop and drumnbass/jungle. All the stuff I WAS into before I got into dubstep, hence the ease of transition.

Nowadays I never ever listen to dubstep. I think it was always a very club centric thing for me. I don't have speakers that can make your nostrils tremble. Also I was young, my drug honeymoon, etc... Sigh.

Blackdown: I know Mala Digital Mystikz was involved with Twice as Nice, were you around for the 2step days?

Loefah: That was Mala’s thing. I went to the club a few times but I really detested garage, especially the kind of thing that got played at Twice as Nice. Fucking Dane Bowers DJing there and shit… you know what I mean? But I did go there, I was in his music video. It was all good, we were friends through it but nar, musically I had nothing to do with it.

Blackdown: So when did you feel differently about garage?

Loefah: One of the reasons I hated ‘garage’ is because to me, it wasn’t garage. It wasn’t London garage. Jungle raves, back in the day. Do you remember the rave Stush? That used to be held at Chelsea Banqueting Suite, well it turned into a garage rave but it began as a jungle rave. I used to go to that and Dream FM bashes. It was the older lot that weren’t up for the pills. This was a more sophisticated, wise London lot than the Twice as Nice crowd, it was who have been raving, people who ‘still like raving but aren’t into going into all that madness.’ Second room was always a badboy thing. Garage was such a London sound. Garage was real, gritty London bassline shit. Old Freek FM, before that Girls FM – it was ‘aving it man. “House and garage.” Some proper Cockney bird trying to speak posh on the [pirate radio] advert.

https://blackdownsoundboy.blogspot.com/2005/12/no-longtings.html

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Through dubstep I met some ppl who absolutely loved garage and had all the records and it was actually one of the most exciting discoveries I'd ever made, hearing them mix in all these classics which were totally new to me, while nutted on pills. It was "what's this?" "What's this?" "WHATS THIS?"

Which is the infallible signal afaic

entertainment

one of the all time favorite lyrics this:

I'm watchin Oprah cover Hurricane Katrina, I see the same bitch floatin away on the hood of a Camry that was in the nigga Lil Weezy video
I mean damn, everywhere I look, everywhere I go, I see the same hoes

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

INB4 Barry tells me this is unacceptable.

water-wave_1f30a.png
[

Status
Not open for further replies.