Status
Not open for further replies.

sadmanbarty

the reason rnb died is because rappers and dancehall artists got good at it. when i was little dancehall rnb was wayne wonder which is the worst music in the world, but now it's this. the most vulnerable, tender music ever made.

sadmanbarty

then you get the thing of people who can rap are then able to do melodies that are so much more cleaver and intricate than proper singers. this is a staggeringly cleaver bit of pop. so sophisticated. imagine how long it'd take burt bacharach to come up with that melody.

luka

the reason rnb died is because rappers and dancehall artists got good at it. when i was little dancehall rnb was wayne wonder which is the worst music in the world, but now it's this. the most vulnerable, tender music ever made.

There's a real flatness about this kind of music that reminds of HMGs theory about anti depressants cutting off the human soul from its highs and low and leaving it with a steady pulse in the middle regions

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Do you mean in the sound of it? The digital inhuman glaze?

Made me think a good topic of conversation is the creepy affect of sociopathic gangsta rappers trying to make songs for "the ladies". I was listening to a Huncho tune yesterday which I liked when I ignored the lyrics then I realised there's a lyric about a lady "sucking up cum like a slut" and it put me right off it (and my cum).

luka

You know how some drugs seem to lock you into a inhuman frequency? So you're not flesh and blood anymore?

luka

This kind of music is like watching adverts for the post human future and realising you're not going to be allowed to make the transition. Surplus to requirements. Cancelled stock.

luka

I definitely think Barty is right in identifying this kind of music, the xanax zone, as the future that's here now, what he calls an inadvertent future in that it doesn't rely on sci fi trappings.

This is why it has the power to make people, me, genuinely uncomfortable in a way resident advisor endorsed landfill electronica never will.

sadmanbarty

There's a real flatness about this kind of music that reminds of HMGs theory about anti depressants cutting off the human soul from its highs and low and leaving it with a steady pulse in the middle regions

fyah links 1 year ago

Bare batti man dislike

sadmanbarty

Made me think a good topic of conversation is the creepy affect of sociopathic gangsta rappers trying to make songs for "the ladies". I was listening to a Huncho tune yesterday which I liked when I ignored the lyrics then I realised there's a lyric about a lady "sucking up cum like a slut" and it put me right off it (and my cum).

on the xanex thread i was going to compare the diverging apathies presented in drill and in current us rap. the former born out of a moral nihilism and despair, while the latter emerged from xanex and other prescription drugs.

luka

PTSD emotional numbness only 19 but my mind is old vs chemical cocoon. Two ways to close down.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
For some reason (a reason that needs examining, esp. in the case of white middle classos like me), rappers going on about shooting and stabbing each other seems acceptable/thrilling to me but when they talk about aggressive/rapey sex it suddenly becomes disturbing.

This is a captain obvious comment, isn't it? Sex is more disturbing than violence, which is why you can have a million baddies blown away onscreen in a 15 movie but not a single one blown.

sadmanbarty

For some reason (a reason that needs examining, esp. in the case of white middle classos like me), rappers going on about shooting and stabbing each other seems acceptable/thrilling to me but when they talk about aggressive/rapey sex it suddenly becomes disturbing.

if a bloke fucked me in the mouth it'd hurt me on far deeper emotional levels than if someone stabbed me.

Status
Not open for further replies.